How I do it: bilateral lumbar spinal canal microsurgical decompression via unilateral approach
Bilateral lumbar spinal canal decompression via unilateral approach is a surgical way to treat degenerative spinal canal stenosis.
We report the treatment of degenerative lumbar spinal canal stenosis by removing overgrown ligaments, bone, and other compromising tissue on both sides of the spinal canal, using one side approach, avoiding surgical trauma of the counter side of the spine.
This technique allows to achieve perfect results using common microsurgical instruments and Caspar distractor for one or multilevel surgery.
KeywordsMicrosurgical spinal canal decompression Degenerative lumbar spine stenosis Surgical technique
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of Ethical Committee of the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation and with the 1964 Helsinki declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
- 2.Arnoldi CC, Brodsky AE, Cauchoix J et al (1976) Lumbar spinal stenosis and nerve root entrapment syndromes. Definition and classification. Clin Orthop 115:4–5Google Scholar
- 3.Bai B, Li Y (2016) Analysis of surgeries for degenerative lumbarstenosis in elderly patients. Pak J Med Sci 32(1):134–137Google Scholar
- 5.Machado GC, Ferreira PH, Harris IA, Pinheiro MB, Koes BW, van Tulder M, Rzewuska M, Maher CG, Ferreira ML (2015) Effectiveness of surgery for lumbar spinal stenosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS One. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0122800
- 6.Otani K, Kikuchi S, Yabuki S, Igarashi T, Nikaido T, Watanabe K, Konno S (2013) Lumbar spinal stenosis has a negative impact on quality of life compared with other comorbidities: an epidemiological cross-sectional study of 1862 community-dwelling individuals. Sci World J. https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/590652
- 10.Thomé C, Zevgaridis D, Leheta O, Bäzner H, Pöckler-Schöniger C, Wöhrle J, Schmiedek P (2005) Outcome after less-invasive decompression of lumbar spinal stenosis: a randomized comparison of unilateral laminotomy, bilateral laminotomy, and laminectomy. J Neurosurg Spine 3(2):129–141CrossRefGoogle Scholar