Core-shell hollow spheres of type C@MoS2 for use in surface-assisted laser desorption/ionization time of flight mass spectrometry of small molecules
Mesoporous carbon hollow spheres coated with MoS2 (C@MoS2) were synthesized to obtain a material with large specific surface area, fast electron transfer efficiency and good water dispersibility. The composite material was applied as a matrix for the analysis of small molecules by surface-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry (SALDI-TOF MS). The use of a core-shell C@MoS2 matrix strongly reduces matrix background interferences and increases signal intensity in the analysis of sulfonamides antibiotics (SAs), cationic dyes, emodin, as well as estrogen and amino acids. The composite material was applied to the SALDI-TOF MS analysis of selected molecules in (spiked) real samples. The ionization mechanism of the core-shell C@MoS2 as a matrix is discussed. The method exhibits low fragmentation interference, excellent ionization efficiency, high reproducibility and satisfactory salt tolerance.
KeywordsCore-shell C@MoS2 SALDI-TOF MS Ionization mechanism Salt tolerance Sulfonamides antibiotics Cationic dyes Emodin Estrogen Amino acids
This work was supported by The National Key Research and Development Program of China (2018YFC1603500), Natural Science Foundation of Shandong Province (ZR2017MB011), Key R&D Program of Shandong Province (2019GSF111009, 2019GSF111001), Key Laboratory of Biomedical Effects of Nanomaterials and Nanosafety, CAS(NSKF201813), the Special Grant for High-Level Overseas Talents of Shandong Academy of Sciences, Youth Science Funds of Shandong Academy of Sciences (2019QN008,2019QN009).
- 7.Gao C, Zhen DS, He N, An ZB, Zhou QL, Li CY, Grimes CA, Cai QY (2019) Two-dimensional TiO2 nanoflakes enable rapid SALDI-TOF-MS detection of toxic small molecules (dyes and their metabolites) in complex environments. Talanta 196:1–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2018.11.104 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Sangsuwan A, Narupai B, Sae-ung P, Rodtamai S, Rodthongkum N, Hoven VP (2015) Patterned poly(acrylic acid) brushes containing gold nanoparticles for peptide detection by surface-assisted laser desorption/ionization mass spectrometry. Anal Chem 87:10738–10746. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.analchem.5b00734 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 21.Zhao YJ, Tang MM, Liao QB, Li ZM, Li H, Xi K, Tan L, Zhang M, Xu DK, Chen HY (2018) Disposable MoS2 -arrayed MALDI MS chip for high-throughput and rapid quantification of sulfonamides in multiple real samples. ACS sensors 3:806–814. https://doi.org/10.1021/acssensors.8b00051 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 24.Zheng LP, Xing T, Ouyang YH, Wang Y, Wang XY (2019) Core-shell structured MoS2@mesoporous hollow carbon spheres nanocomposite for supercapacitors applications with enhanced capacitance and energy density. Electrochim Acta 298:630–639. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2018.12.126 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Zhao YJ, Deng GQ, Liu XH, Sun L, Li H, Cheng Q, Xi K, Xu DK (2016) MoS2/Ag nanohybrid: a novel matrix with synergistic effect for small molecule drugs analysis by negative-ion matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry. Anal Chim Acta 937:87–95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aca.2016.06.026 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 28.Ji YF, Lu JH, Wang L, Jiang MD, Yang Y, Yang PZ, Zhou L, Ferronato C, Chovlon JM (2018) Non-activated peroxymonosulfate oxidation of sulfonamide antibiotics in water: kinetics, mechanisms, and implications for water treatment. Water Res 147:82–90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2018.037 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 32.Yang HM, Su R, Wishnok JS, Liu N, Chen CB, Liu SY, Tannenbaum SR (2019) Magnetic silica nanoparticles for use in matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization mass spectrometry of labile biomolecules such as oligosaccharides, amino acids, peptides and nucleosides. Microchim Acta 186:104–112. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00604-018-3208-5 CrossRefGoogle Scholar