A Schiff base modified graphene oxide film for anodic stripping voltammetric determination of arsenite
- 80 Downloads
A protocol is described for chemical modification of graphene oxide with a Schiff base derived from diethylenetriamine and 2-hydroxy-4-methoxybenzophenone. The base was grafted onto an indium tin oxide (ITO) film and applied to electroanalytical determination of arsenite. Successful grafting was confirmed by Fourier transform-infrared spectroscopy, spectrophotometry, field emission scanning electron microscopy and cyclic voltammetry. Secondly, the coated ITO film served as a working electrode for the stripping voltammetric determination of arsenite. The analytical signal is generated by selective oxidation of metal species via multi-donor sites present in the derivatized Schiff base. The electroanalytical protocol was optimized by investigating the effects of deposition time, working potential, frequency and amplitude of square wave anodic stripping voltammetry. The method has attractive features including (a) the usage of a non-metallic, non-toxic and cost-effective material; (b) improved sensitivity (with limit of detection as low as 156 pM) due to better adsorption of arsenite in the Schiff base pockets on the ITO, and (c) the application to the determination of arsenite in real samples.
KeywordsAs(III) Azomethine Silatrane 2-Hydroxybenzophenone Portable electrodes Voltammetry Chronocoulometry Metallic toxin Environmental analysis Oxyanion
The authors are thankful to CSIR, New Delhi for providing financial support (No. 01(2909)/17/EMR-II dated 03-05-2017).
Compliance with ethical standards
The author(s) declare that they have no competing interests
- 8.Rajkumar M, Thiagarajan S, Chen S-M (2011) Electrochemical detection of arsenic in various water samples. Int J Electrochem Sci 6:3164–3177Google Scholar
- 22.Mutneja R, Srivastav N, Singh R, Kaur V, Bette N, Klemm V, Rafaja D, Wagler J, Kroke E (2019) Exploring superiority of silatranyl moiety as anchoring unit over its trialkoxysilyl analogue for covalent grafting via fabrication of functionalized mesoporous silica possessing azomethinic pincers for dye adsorption. Microporous Mesoporous Mater 273:265–272CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.Rana S, Kaur R, Jain R, Prabhakar N (2018) Ionic liquid assisted growth of poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene)/reduced graphene oxide based electrode: an improved electro-catalytic performance for the detection of organophosphorus pesticides in beverages. Arab J Chem In press. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arabjc.2018.08.008CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Gu T, Bu L, Huang Z, Liu Y, Tang Z, Liu Y, Huang S, Xie Q, Yao S, Tu X, Luo X, Luo S (2013) Dual-signal anodic stripping voltammetric determination of trace arsenic(III) at a glassy carbon electrode modified with internal-electrolysis deposited gold nanoparticles. Electrochem Commun 33:43–46CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 33.Lopaz JR, Videa M (2012) Study of the ion transfer of quaternary ammonium ions by SWV. J Mex Chem Soc 56:417–425Google Scholar