A dual-channel ratiometric fluorescent probe for determination of the activity of tyrosinase using nitrogen-doped graphene quantum dots and dopamine-modified CdTe quantum dots
- 170 Downloads
A dual-channel ratiometric fluorometric assay is described for the determination of the activity of the enzyme tyrosinase (TYR). It is making use of blue-emitting nitrogen-doped graphene quantum dots (bQDs) and of red-emitting dopamine-modified CdTe quantum dots (DA-rQDs). A mixture of the two kinds of quantum dots was prepared, with the ratiometric fluorescence intensity of red to blue adjusted to 5:1. The dopamine on the rQDs is catalytically oxidized by TYR to form dopamine quinone, and this leads to a reduction of the intensity of red fluorescence (peaking at 644 nm). The emission of the bQDs (peaking at 440 nm) represents a stable reference signal. After adding different activities of TYR, the color of the fluorescence of the system continuously changes from red to blue. This can also be visually observed. The ratio of luminescence intensities (at 644/440 nm) can be used to quantify the activity of TYR, and the detection limit is 4.5 mU mL−1. In addition, a test strip is described based on the above method.
KeywordsEnzymatic assay Non-fluorescent substrate Visual detection Colorimetry Test papers
This work was financially supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (21173102 and 21473072).
Compliance with ethical standards
The author(s) declare that they have no competing interests.
- 2.Yoruk R, Marshall MR (2003) Physicochemical properties and function of plant polyphenol oxidase: a review. J Food Biochem 27(5):361–422. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4514.2003.tb00289.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Kim H-r (2014) Recent advances in Tyrosinase research as an industrial enzyme. The Korean Society for Biotechnology and Bioengineering 29(1):1–8Google Scholar
- 10.Lin T-E, Cortes-Salazar F, Lesch A, Qiao L, Bondarenko A, Girault HH (2015) Multiple scanning electrochemical microscopy mapping of tyrosinase in micro-contact printed fruit samples on polyvinylidene fluoride membrane. Electrochim Acta 179:57–64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2015.03.224 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Niu W-J, Shan D, Zhu R-H, Deng S-Y, Cosnier S, Zhang X-J (2016) Dumbbell-shaped carbon quantum dots/AuNCs nanohybrid as an efficient ratiometric fluorescent probe for sensing cadmium (II) ions and L-ascorbic acid. Carbon 96:1034–1042. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbon.2015.10.051 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Zhang K, Zhou H, Mei Q, Wang S, Guan G, Liu R, Zhang J, Zhang Z (2011) Instant visual detection of trinitrotoluene particulates on various surfaces by Ratiometric fluorescence of dual-emission quantum dots hybrid. J Am Chem Soc 133(22):8424–8427. https://doi.org/10.1021/ja2015873 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Wang K, Qian J, Jiang D, Yang Z, Du X, Wang K (2015) Onsite naked eye determination of cysteine and homocysteine using quencher displacement-induced fluorescence recovery of the dual-emission hybrid probes with desired intensity ratio. Biosens Bioelectron 65:83–90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bios.2014.09.093 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Chai L, Zhou J, Feng H, Tang C, Huang Y, Qian Z (2015) Functionalized carbon quantum dots with dopamine for Tyrosinase activity monitoring and inhibitor screening: in vitro and intracellular investigation. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces 7(42):23564–23574. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsami.5b06711 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 21.Shi B, Zhang L, Lan C, Zhao J, Su Y, Zhao S (2015) One-pot green synthesis of oxygen-rich nitrogen-doped graphene quantum dots and their potential application in pH-sensitive photoluminescence and detection of mercury (II) ions. Talanta 142:131–139. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2015.04.059 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Huang X, Zhou Y, Liu C, Zhang R, Zhang L, Du S, Liu B, Han M-Y, Zhang Z (2016) A single dual-emissive nanofluorophore test paper for highly sensitive colorimetry-based quantification of blood glucose. Biosens Bioelectron 86:530–535. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bios.2016.07.021 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 32.Wu X, Li L, Shi W, Gong Q, Ma H (2016) Near-infrared fluorescent probe with new recognition moiety for specific detection of Tyrosinase activity: design, synthesis, and application in living cells and zebrafish. Ange Chem Int Ed 55(47):14728–14732. https://doi.org/10.1002/anie.201609895 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 34.Lei C, Zhao X-E, Sun J, Yan X, Gao Y, Gao H, Zhu S, Wang H (2017) A simple and novel colorimetric assay for tyrosinase and inhibitor screening using 3, 3 ', 5, 5 '-tetramethylbenzidine as a chromogenic probe. Talanta 175:457–462. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2017.07.070 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar