A cytosine-rich hairpin DNA loaded with silver nanoclusters as a fluorescent probe for uranium(IV) and mercury(II) ions
- 69 Downloads
A dually responsive fluorescent probe for determination of U(IV) and mercury(II) ions was synthesized. The probe consists of a cytosine-rich hairpin DNA loaded with silver nanoclusters (DNA-AgNCs). The fluorescence of the AgNCs is found to be quenched by UO2(II) at pH 5.0 and Hg(II) at pH 7.0 due to combined static and dynamic quenching. Under the optimal conditions, the green fluorescence of the DNA-AgNCs, best measured at excitation/emission wavelengths of 420/525 nm, decreases in the 4.0 to 75 pM UO2(II) concentration range, and in the 0.3 to 8.0 nM Hg(II) concentration range. The respective detection limits are as low as 1.8 pM and 0.1 nM. The method was successfully applied to the determination of UO2(II) and Hg(II) in (spiked) pond and taps waters and in soil extracts.
KeywordsDNA-AgNCs UO2(II) Hg(II) Fluorometry Quenching Dual response Cytosine C-Ag(I)-C Soil sample Water sample
The authors gratefully acknowledge the support of the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 11205085), the Department of Education Excellent Youth Project of Hunan Province in China (No. 15B202), the Natural Science Foundation Project of Hunan Province (No. 2018JJ2323), the Technology Innovation Guidance Program Clinical Medical Technology Innovation Guide Project of Hunan Province (No. 2017SK50218), the Open Project Program of the State Key Laboratory of Chemo/Biosensing and Chemometrics, Hunan University (Changsha, China; 2012018), the Defense Industrial Technology Development Program (JCKY2016403C001), and the Key Laboratory of Hengyang for Health Hazard Factors Inspection and Quarantine (No. 2018KJ110).
Compliance with ethical standards
The authors declare that they have no competing interests.
- 4.Pokhrel LR, Ettore N, Jacobs ZL, Zarr A, Weir MH, Scheuerman PR, Kanel SR, Dubey B (2016) Novel carbon nanotube (CNT)-based ultrasensitive sensors for trace mercury(II) detection in water: a review. Sci Total Environ 574:1379–1388. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2016.08.055 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 5.Zoriy P, Schläger M, Murtazaev K, Pillath J, Zoriy M, Heuel-Fabianek B (2017) Monitoring of uranium concentrations in water samples collected near potentially hazardous objects in north-West Tajikistan. J Environ Radioact 181(181):109–117. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvrad.2017.11.010 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Zhou QX, Lei M, Liu YL, Wu YL, Yuan YY (2017) Simultaneous determination of cadmium, lead and mercury ions at trace level by magnetic solid phase extraction with Fe@ag@Dimercaptobenzene coupled to high performance liquid chromatography. Talanta 175:194–199. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2017.07.043 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Krata A, Vassileva E, Bulska E (2016) Reference measurements for total mercury and methyl mercury content in marine biota samples using direct or species-specific isotope dilution inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry. Talanta 160:562–569. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2016.07.033 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Yoshimoto K, Anh HTV, Yamamoto A, Koriyama C, Ishibashi Y, Tabata M, Nakano A, Yamamoto M (2016) Simple analysis of total mercury and methylmercury in seafood using heating vaporization atomic absorption spectrometry. J Toxicol Sci 41(4):489–500. https://doi.org/10.2131/jts.41.489 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Saha A, Sanyal K, Rawat N, Deb SB, Saxena MK, Tomar BS (2017) Selective micellar extraction of Ultratrace levels of uranium in aqueous samples by task specific ionic liquid followed by its detection employing Total reflection X-ray fluorescence spectrometry. Anal Chem 89(19):10422–10430. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.analchem.7b02427 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 27.Zhu JH, Zhao X, Yang JD, Tan YT, Zhang L, Liu SP, Liu ZF, Hu XL (2016) Selective colorimetric and fluorescent quenching determination of uranyl ion via its complexation with curcumin. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 159:146–150. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.saa.2016.01.021 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 28.Haraga T, Ouchi K, Sato Y, Hoshino H, Tanaka R, Fujihara T, Kurokawa H, Shibukawa M, Ishimori K, Kameo Y, Saito S (2018) Safe and rapid development of capillary electrophoresis for ultratrace uranyl ions in radioactive samples by way of fluorescent probe selection for actinide ions from a chemical library. Anal Chim Acta 1032:188–196. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aca.2018.05.077 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 35.Lin X, Lu YS, Yang SY, Liu LQ, Li FF, He SZ (2018) Visual colorimetric detection of hg(II) with graphene oxide peroxidase-like activity. Spectrosc Spectr Anal 38(10):3188–3191. https://doi.org/10.3964/j.issn.1000-0593(2018)10-3188-04 CrossRefGoogle Scholar