Determination and removal of clenbuterol with a stable fluorescent zirconium(IV)-based metal organic framework
A metal organic framework (MOF) based adsorbent of type UiO-66 was hydrothermally prepared and applied to simultaneous sensing and removal of the asthma drug clenbuterol. The MOF possesses a large specific surface area (1460 cm2·g−1) and a stable structure, and has a large adsorption capacity for clenbuterol (160 mg·g−1). If clenbuterol binds to the MOF, the fluorescence of the sorbent (best measured at excitation/emission wavelengths of 290/396 nm) is quenched by up to 88%. Based on these findings, a fluorometric assay has been developed for the rapid determination of clenbuterol. The adsorption equilibrium of UiO-66 for CLB can be achieved at 60 min and the adsorption efficiency is above 80%. The method has a linear response in the 4.0 to 40 ng·mL−1 concentration range, and the lower limit of detection is 0.17 μM. All of this indicates that UiO-66 is promising for simultaneous detection and the removal of CLB in water.
KeywordsClenbuterol assay Metal-organic framework Sensor Stern-Volmer plot Fluorescent quenching
The authors would like to thank the China National Key R&D Program (2017YFC1601604), NSFC (No.21777189) and China Central Basic Research Program (Y2018PT23) for financially supporting this research.
Compliance with ethical standards
The author(s) declare that they have no competing interests.
- 3.Shellaiah M, Simon T, Venkatesan P, Sun KW, Ko F, Wu S (2018) Nanodiamonds conjugated to gold nanoparticles for colorimetric detection of clenbuterol and chromium(III) in urine. Mikrochimica Acta 185(1)Google Scholar
- 5.Wang R, Zhang W, Wang P, Su X (2018) A paper-based competitive lateral flow immunoassay for multi β-agonist residues by using a single monoclonal antibody labelled with red fluorescent nanoparticles. Mikrochimica Acta 185(3)Google Scholar
- 7.Ji R, Chen S, Xu W, Qin Z, Qiu JF, Li CR (2018) A voltammetric immunosensor for clenbuterol based on the use of a MoS 2 -AuPt nanocomposite. Mikrochimica Acta 185(4)Google Scholar
- 8.Ge Y, Camarada MB, Xu L, Qu M, Liang H, Zhao E et al (2018) A highly stable black phosphorene nanocomposite for voltammetric detection of clenbuterol. Mikrochimica Acta 185(12)Google Scholar
- 14.Zhang X, Li C, Gao J, Hou J, Jing X et al (2018) A bi-functional luminescent Zn(II)-MOF for detection of nitroaromatic explosives and Fe 3+ ions. Sensors and Actuators B-chemical:207–213Google Scholar
- 15.Wu Y, Feng J, Xie B, Zou L, Li Y, Li Z (2017) An extremely stable 2D zinc(II) coordination polymer exhibiting high sensing ability and photocatalytic degradation activities of dyes. J Inorg Organomet Polym Mater 27(5):1–9Google Scholar
- 36.Pleadin J, Vulic A, Persi N, Milic D, Vahcic N (2011) Ractopamine and Clenbuterol urinary residues in pigs as food-producing animals. Food Technol Biotechnol 49(4):517–522Google Scholar