A screen-printed electrode modified with tungsten disulfide nanosheets for nanomolar detection of the arsenic drug roxarsone
- 80 Downloads
A sensitive electrochemical (voltammetric; DPV) sensor has been developed for the determination of coccidiostat drug (roxarsone) based on the use of an SPCE (screen-printed carbon electrode) modified with tungsten disulfide nanosheets (WS2 NSs). The electrochemical detection of roxarsone on the WS2-modified SPCE was examined by electrochemical strategies. XPS, XRD, Raman, SEM, TEM, EDS and EIS were used to characterize the nanosheets. The effects of scan rate, pH values (phosphate buffer) and buffer concentration were optimized. A selective roxarsone sensor was developed that works best at -0.64 V (vs. Ag/AgCl) and performs much better than the bare SPCE. Features include (a) a wider linear range (0.05 to 490 μM), (b) a nanomolar detection limit (0.03 μM) and (c) high sensitivity (29 μA·μM-1·cm-2). The modified SPCEs have been successfully applied to the determination of roxarsone in spiked meat samples where they gave high accuracy and good recoveries.
KeywordsFood safety Toxic drugs Modified electrode Metal dichalcogenides Nanosheets Electrochemical detection Organo-arsenic drug detection Feed additive detection
Financial assistance received from National Taipei University of Technology is gratefully acknowledged. One of the author Dr. Govindasamy Mani would like to gratitude National Taipei University of technology for the post-doctoral fellowship. The authors (R. Jothiramalingam, King Saud University, Saudi Arabia) extend their appreciation to Research & Development Office-Ministry of Education for funding this research work, through the High Quality and Impact Research Initiative. Saudi Arabia.
Compliance with ethical standards
The author(s) declare that they have no competing interests.
- 9.Govindasamy M, Chen S-M, Mani V, Sathiyan A, Merlin JP, Al-Hemaid FM (2016) Simultaneous determination of dopamine and uric acid in the presence of high ascorbic acid concentration using cetyltrimethylammonium bromide–polyaniline/activated charcoal composite. RSC Adv 6(102):100605–100613CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Mani V, Chen T-W, Selvaraj S (2017) MWCNTs/MoS2 decorated cobalt oxide polyhedrons composite film modified electrode for electrochemical determination of dopamine in rat brain and human blood serum samples. Int J Electrochem Sci 12:7435–7445Google Scholar
- 25.Govindasamy M, Chen S-M, Mani V, Devasenathipathy R, Umamaheswari R, Santhanaraj KJ (2017) Molybdenum disulfide nanosheets coated multiwalled carbon nanotubes composite for highly sensitive determination of chloramphenicol in food samples milk, honey and powdered milk. J Colloid Interface Sci 485:129–136CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.Chen T-W, Rajaji U, Chen S-M, Chinnapaiyan S, Ramalingam RJ (2019) Facile Synthesis of Mesoporous WS2 Nanorods Decorated N-doped RGO Network Modified Electrode as Portable Electrochemical Sensing Platform for Sensitive Detection of Toxic Antibiotic in Biological and Pharmaceutical Samples. Ultrason Sonochem 56:430–436CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 34.Govindasamy M, Shanthi S, Elaiyappillai E, Wang S-F, Johnson PM, Ikeda H (2019) Fabrication of hierarchical NiCo2S4@CoS2 nanostructures on highly conductive flexible carbon cloth substrate as a hybrid electrode material for supercapacitors with enhanced electrochemical performance. Electrochim Acta 293:328–337CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 35.Zhang Q, Lu J, Wang Z, Dai Z, Zhang Y, Huang F (2018) Reliable Synthesis of Large-Area Monolayer WS2 Single Crystals, Films, and Heterostructures with Extraordinary Photoluminescence Induced by Water Intercalation. Adv Opt Mater 1701347Google Scholar
- 36.Zhou J, Tang B, Lin J, Lv D, Shi J, Sun L (2018) Morphology Engineering in Monolayer MoS2-WS2 Lateral Heterostructures. Adv Funct Mater 1801568Google Scholar
- 45.Pei-Long W, Jing T, Xiao-Ou S (2008) Determination of Organic Arsenic in Feed Using High Performance Liquid Chromatography TandemInductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry. Chin J Anal Chem 36(2):215Google Scholar