Antimony-doped tin oxide nanoparticles as peroxidase mimics for paper-based colorimetric detection of glucose using smartphone read-out
- 20 Downloads
Antimony-doped tin oxide nanoparticles (ATO NPs) were loaded on a filter paper where they act as a peroxidase mimic without electrochemical or photochemical assistance. The peroxidase mimicking activity is distinctly improved compared to most known nanomaterials and to natural horseradish peroxidase. The catalytic properties depend on the amount of antimony doped into the ATO NPs. A glucose assay was worked out that is based on (a) the oxidation of glucose by glucose oxidase under formation of H2O2, (b) the oxidation of 3,3,5,5-tetramethybenzidine (TMB) catalyzed by ATO NPs to form blue-green colored oxidized TMB on the surface of the paper. The coloration was analyzed with a smartphone. The method has a 21 μM limit of detection and a linear range that extends from 0.5 to 80 mM.
KeywordsPeroxidase-activity Paper-based device Smartphone colorimetry Antimony doping Enzyme mimic H2O2
This work was supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 21705060, 21605105 and 21573103), Natural Science Foundation of Jiangsu Province, China (No. BK20170570), College Natural Science Foundation of Jiangsu Province, China (No. 17KJB150014) and Six Talent Peaks Project in Jiangsu Province, China (No. SWYY-021).
Compliance with ethical standards
The author(s) declare that they have no competing interests.
- 6.Luo H, Fang Z, Song N, Garvey T, Lopez R, Meyer TJ (2015) High surface area antimony-doped tin oxide electrodes templated by graft copolymerization. Applications in electrochemical and Photoelectrochemical catalysis. ACS Appl Mater Inter 7(45):25121–25128. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.snb.2016.11.053 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Marques HM (2007) Insights into porphyrin chemistry provided by the microperoxidases, the haempeptides derived from cytochrome c. Dalton Trans (39):4371–4385. https://doi.org/10.1039/b710940g
- 16.Shen W, Sun J, Seah JYH, Shi L, Tang S, Lee HK (2018) Needle-based sampling coupled with colorimetric reaction catalyzed by layered double hydroxide peroxidase mimic for rapid detection of the change of d-glucose levels with time in bananas. Anal Chim Acta 1001:32–39. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aca.2017.11.003 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Tang S, Qi T, Xia DS, Xu MC, Xu MY, Zhu AN, Shen W, Lee HK (2019) Smartphone Nanocolorimetric determination of hydrogen sulfide in biosamples after silver–gold Core–Shell Nanoprism-based headspace single-drop microextraction. Anal Chem 91(9):5888-5895. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.analchem.9b00255 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Zhao YT, Yang MM, Fu QQ, Ouyang H, Wen W, Song Y, Zhu CZ, Lin YH, Du D (2018) A Nanozyme- and ambient light-based smartphone platform for simultaneous detection of dual biomarkers from exposure to organophosphorus pesticides. Anal Chem 90(12):7391–7398. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.analchem.8b00837 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 26.Michaelis L, Menten M (1913) Die kinetik der invertinwirkung. Biochem Z 49:333Google Scholar