A fluorescent probe composed of quantum dot labeled aptamer and graphene oxide for the determination of the lipopolysaccharide endotoxin
Endotoxins are complex lipopolysaccharides (LPS) and key components of the outer cell membrane of Gram-negative bacteria. The authors report on a fluorescent aptamer-based probe for the determination of LPS of Gram-negative bacteria. An aptamer against LPS was fluorescently labeled with CdSe/ZnS quantum dots. Its emission is quenched on addition of graphene oxide (GO). On addition of LPS, the aptamer binds LPS and GO is released. This results in the recovery of fluorescence, typically measured at excitation/emission wavelengths of 495/543 nm. The probe responds to LPS in the 10–500 ng·mL−1 concentration range, and the detection limit is 8.7 ng·mL−1. It can be used for selective detection of LPS from different Gram-negative bacteria, in the presence of biological interferents.
KeywordsBiosensor Gram-negative bacteria DNA Fluorescence quenching Resonance energy transfer CdSe/ZnS quantum dots Fluorescence turn-on Receptor
This work was financially supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (No.21375156), National High Technology Research and Development Program of China (Ministry of Science and Technology 863 Plan)(2015AA021104), Frontier Research Key Projects of Chongqing Science and Technology Committee (cstc2015jcyjBX0010), and Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (No. 10611CDJXZ238826).
Compliance with ethical standards
The author(s) declare that they have no competing interests.
- 2.Ulevitch RJ, Tobias PS (1995) Recptor-dependent michanisms of cell stimulation by bacterial-endotoxin. Annu Rev Immunol 13:437–457. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.iy.13.040195.002253 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Alahi MEE, Mukhopadhyay SC (2017) Detection methodologies for pathogen and toxins: a review. Sensors 17(8). https://doi.org/10.3390/s17081885
- 8.Cheng C, Wu J, Chen J (2018) A highly sensitive aptasensor for on-site detection of lipopolysaccharides in food. Electrophoresis. https://doi.org/10.1002/elps.201800289
- 15.Jiang G, Wang J, Yang Y, Zhang G, Liu Y, Lin H, Zhang G, Li Y, Fan X (2016) Fluorescent turn-on sensing of bacterial lipopolysaccharide in artificial urine sample with sensitivity down to nanomolar by tetraphenylethylene based aggregation induced emission molecule. Biosens Bioelectron 85:62–67. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bios.2016.04.071 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 30.Bai L, Chai Y, Pu X, Yuan R (2014) A signal-on electrochemical aptasensor for ultrasensitive detection of endotoxin using three-way DNA junction-aided enzymatic recycling and graphene nanohybrid for amplification. Nanoscale 6(5):2902–2908. https://doi.org/10.1039/c3nr05930h CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar