HKUST-1 metal-organic framework for dispersive solid phase extraction of 2-methyl-4-chlorophenoxyacetic acid (MCPA) prior to its determination by ion mobility spectrometry
The authors describe a method for the extraction of the herbicide 2-methyl-4-chlorophenoxyacetic acid (MCPA) from agricultural products. The metal organic framework (MOF) HKUST-1 (a copper(II) benzene-1,3,5-tricarboxylate) was used as a sorbent for efficient clean-up and preconcentration of MCPA. The effects of pH value, stirring time, amount of sorbent on extraction were optimized by central composite design. Ultrasonic waves were used for desorption procedure and its advantage was demonstrated for an increase in extraction recovery. Corona discharge ion mobility spectrometry (IMS) was then applied for fast and sensitive determination of MCPA. The method was validated in terms of sensitivity, recovery and reproducibility. Under the optimum conditions the calibration plot is linear between 0.035–0.200 μg. L−1. The detection limit is 10 ng L−1, with relative standard deviations of <5%. Real samples (water, soil and agricultural product) were spiked and then analyzed by this method, and the results revealed efficient solid phase extraction and recovery.
Keywords2-Methyl-4-chlorophenoxyacetic acid MCPA Ion mobility spectrometry Metal organic framework MOF Dispersive solid phase extraction Central composite design Porous material Water analysis Agriculture products
The authors acknowledge the Research Council of Alzahra University.
Compliance with ethical standards
The author(s) declare that they have no competing interests.
- 4.Steinborn A, Alder L, Spitzke M, Dörk D, Anastassiades M (2017) Development of a QuEChERS-based method for the simultaneous determination of acidic pesticides, their esters, and conjugates following alkaline hydrolysis. J Agric Food Chem 65:1296–1305. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jafc.6b05407 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 5.Chen X, Dong B, Zhong M, Hu J (2015) Dissipation kinetics and residues of amidosulfuron and MCPA in wheat ecosystems based on a modified QuEChERS and low-temperature cleanup method using the RRLC-QqQ-MS/MS technique. Anal Methods 7:10299–10305. https://doi.org/10.1039/c5ay02392k CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Saraji M, Jafari MT, Mossaddegh M (2016) Halloysite nanotubes-titanium dioxide as a solid-phase microextraction coating combined with negative corona discharge-ion mobility spectrometry for the determination of parathion. Anal Chim Acta 926:55–62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aca.2016.04.034 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Mohammadnejad M, Farhadpour M, Mahdavi V, Tabrizchi M (2017) Rapid monitoring and sensitive determination of DDT and its metabolites in water sample using solid-phase extraction followed by ion mobility spectrometry. Int J Ion Mobil Spectrom 20:23–30. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12127-016-0211-6 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Armenta S, de la Guardia M, Abad-Fuentes A, Abad-Somovilla A, Esteve-Turrillas FA (2015) Off-line coupling of multidimensional immunoaffinity chromatography and ion mobility spectrometry: a promising partnership. J Chromatogr A 1426:110–117. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2015.11.050 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Jafari MT, Badihi Z, Jazan E (2012) A new approach to determine salicylic acid in human urine and blood plasma based on negative electrospray ion mobility spectrometry after selective separation using a molecular imprinted polymer. Talanta 99:520–526. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2012.06.023 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Schlesinger M, Schulze S, Hietschold M, Mehring M (2010) Evaluation of synthetic methods for microporous metal-organic frameworks exemplified by the competitive formation of [Cu2(btc)3(H2O)3] and [Cu2(btc)(OH)(H2O)]. Microporous Mesoporous Mater 132:121–127. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.micromeso.2010.02.008 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Deng Y, Zhang R, Li D, Sun P, Su P, Yang Y (2018) Preparation of iron-based MIL-101 functionalized polydopamine@Fe3O4 magnetic composites for extracting sulfonylurea herbicides from environmental water and vegetable samples. J Sep Sci 41:2046–2055. https://doi.org/10.1002/jssc.201701391 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 28.Saraji M, Rezaei B, Boroujeni MK, Bidgoli AAH (2013) Polypyrrole/sol-gel composite as a solid-phase microextraction fiber coating for the determination of organophosphorus pesticides in water and vegetable samples. J Chromatogr A 1279:20–26. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2013.01.017 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 34.Rahemi V, Garrido JMPJ, Borges F, Brett CMA, Garrido EMPJ (2015) Electrochemical sensor for simultaneous determination of herbicide MCPA and its metabolite 4-chloro-2-methylphenol. Application to photodegradation environmental monitoring. Environ Sci Pollut Res 22:4491–4499. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-014-3693-y CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 35.Hogenboom AC, Hofman MP, Jolly DA, Niessen WMA, Brinkman UAT (2000) On-line dual-precolumn-based trace enrichment for the determination of polar and acidic microcontaminants in river water by liquid chromatography with diode-array UV and tandem mass spectrometric detection. J Chromatogr A 885:377–388. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9673(00)00388-5 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar