Combined avulsion fracture of the tibial tubercle and patellar tendon rupture in adolescents: a case report
- 44 Downloads
Simultaneous occurrence of tibial tubercle fracture and patellar tendon avulsion is an extremely rare condition. However, they have become more frequent due to increased participation in sports at a younger age. Diagnosis is not always straightforward, and treatment consists of open reduction and internal fixation. Only a few case reports of such injuries were reported in the literature with limited information according to diagnoses, treatment, and outcome in adolescents.
KeywordsKnee injuries Tibial tubercle fracture Patellar tendon avulsion
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no competing interest.
The study was approved by the institutional review board.
- 1.Behery OA, Feder OI, Beutel BG, Godfried DH (2018) Combined tibial tubercle fracture and patellar tendon avulsion: surgical technique and case report. J Orthop Case Rep 8(3):18–22Google Scholar
- 4.Swan K Jr, Rizio L (2007) Combined avulsion fracture of the tibial tubercle and avulsion of the patellar ligament. Orthopedics 30:571–572Google Scholar
- 5.Sullivan L, Lee CB, Simonian PT (2000) Simultaneous avulsion fracture of the tibial tubercle with avulsion of the patellar ligament. Am J Knee Surg 13(3):156–158Google Scholar
- 9.Uppal R, Lyne D (2007) Tibial tubercle fracture with avulsion of the Patellar ligament: a case report. Am J Orthop 36:273–274Google Scholar
- 13.Schiedts D, Mukisi M, Bastaraud H (1995) Fractures of the tibial tuberosity associated with avulsion of the patellar ligament in adolescents. Rev Chir Orthop 81:635–638Google Scholar
- 18.Agarwalla A, Puzzitiello R, Stone AV, Forsythe B (2018) Tibial tubercle avulsion fracture with multiple concomitant injuries in a adolescent male athlete. Case Rep Orthop 2018:1070628Google Scholar