Expert’s comment concerning Grand Rounds case entitled “Retroperitoneal haematoma in a postoperative ALIF patient taking rivaroxaban for atrial fibrillation” by Deekonda P, Stokes OM, Chan D (Eur Spine J : DOI 10.1007/s00586-016-4822-8)
This is a clear and well-constructed case report describing retroperitoneal haemorrhage in a 72-year-old man taking the oral anticoagulant, rivaroxaban, shortly after spinal surgery and a related literature review . The authors describe the patient’s presentation and bleeding management as well as summarise some key issues around NOACs and surgery.
Rivaroxaban directly inhibits factor Xa, a vital enzyme in the clotting pathway. Its onset of action is rapid, peaking at 2–4 h after ingestion, and with an elimination half-life of around 12 h or less, anticoagulation has generally worn off within 48–72 h of last exposure . I will make some specific comments on the peri-operative management of rivaroxaban and the emergency management of major haemorrhage associated with NOACs.
The authors rightly point out that specific reversal agents are needed, with none available at the time of their report. It is common for guidelines on managing NOAC-associated bleeding to...
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The author declares that he has no conflict of interest.
- 2.European Medicines Agency (2018) Xarelto 2.5 mg, Summary of product characteristics https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/3410/smpc. Accessed 20 Nov 2018
- 3.PHARMAC, Best Practice Advocacy Centre New Zealand, New Zealand Government (2017) Guidelines for management of bleeding with dabigatran or rivaroxaban: for possible use in local management protocols. https://bpac.org.nz/2018/docs/dabigatran-rivaroxaban-bleeding-management.pdf. Accessed 20 Nov 2018
- 5.Clinical Excellence Commission (2017) Non-vitamin K antagonist oral anticoagulant (NOAC) Guidelines, Updated July 2017. Sydney, AustraliaGoogle Scholar
- 14.United States Food and Drug Administration (2016) Xarelto medication guide https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2016/202439s017lbl.pdf. Accessed 18 Nov 2018
- 15.Hylek EM, Held C, Alexander JH et al (2014) Major bleeding in patients with atrial fibrillation receiving apixaban or warfarin: the ARISTOTLE trial (Apixaban for reduction in stroke and other thromboembolic events in atrial fibrillation): predictors, characteristics, and clinical outcomes. J Am Coll Cardiol 63(20):2148–2150. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2014.02.549 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Douketis JD, Spyropoulos AC, Spencer FA et al (2012) Perioperative management of antithrombotic therapy: antithrombotic therapy and prevention of thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of chest physicians evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Chest 141(2 Suppl):e326S–e350S. https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.11-2298 CrossRefGoogle Scholar