Effect of zinc on erythrocyte osmotic fragility and hemogram following chronic exposure to glyphosate-based herbicide in Wistar rats
- 8 Downloads
The study was conducted to assess the effect of zinc on erythrocyte osmotic fragility and hemogram of rats following chronic oral exposure to glyphosate-based herbicide (BUSHFIRE®) at daily doses of 14.4–750 mg/kg of glyphosate. The erythrocyte osmotic fragility, estimated as percentage hemolysis in hypotonic saline, was significantly (p < 0.05) increased in glyphosate-exposed groups at 0.5–0.9% NaCl concentrations, and the fragility was ameliorated in the groups with zinc pretreatments only at 0.5% NaCl. The toxicity did not have any significant effect on the packed cell volume and other erythrocyte parameters. There was significant (p < 0.05) decrease in total white blood cell and lymphocyte counts in glyphosate-exposed groups, which was absent in zinc-pretreated groups. In conclusion, increased erythrocyte osmotic fragility induced by glyphosate could be prevented following zinc pretreatment, but the altered leukogram caused by the toxic action was not fully ameliorated in the pretreated group.
KeywordsGlyphosate Zinc Erythrocyte osmotic fragility Leukogram Toxicity
We hereby acknowledge the contribution of Dr. Uchendu Chidiebere, Department of Veterinary Pharmacology, Physiology and Biochemistry, University of Jos who helped us with the data analysis.
Compliance with ethical standards
This work was carried out after approval was obtained from the ethical committee on the care and use of animals in research of Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Ambali, S. F., Abubakar, A. T., Shittu, M., Yaqub, S.L. Anafi, S.B. and Abdullahi,A. (2010). Chlorpyrifos-induced alteration of haematological parameters in Wistar rats : ameliorative effects of zinc. Res J Environ Toxicol, 4: 55–66Google Scholar
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (2009). Chronic toxicity studies- duration of study. OECD Guideline for Testing Chemicals, 452Google Scholar
- Olorunsogo O, Bababunmi E, Bassir O (1979) Effect of glyphosate on rat liver mitochondria in vivo. Bull Environ Toxicol 2:257–264Google Scholar
- Tizhe EV, Ibrahim NDG, Fatihu MY, Igbokwe IO, George BDJ, Ambali SF, Shallangwa JM (2013) Haematological changes induced by subchronic glyphosate exposure: ameliorative effect of zinc in Wistar rats. Sokoto J Vet Sci 11(2):28–35Google Scholar
- Tizhe EV, Ibrahim NDG, Fatihu MY, Igbokwe IO, George BDJ, Ambali SF, Shallangwa JM (2014) Influence of zinc supplementation on histopathological changes in the stomach, liver, kidney, brain, pancreas and spleen during subchronic exposure of Wistar wats to glyphosate. Comp Clin Pathol 23:1535–1543Google Scholar