FPGA implementation of high performance digital down converter for software defined radio
- 2 Downloads
Digital down converter (DDC) is one of the crucial components in digital radio receiver. The working function of DDC is to convert the frequency translation from Intermediate Frequency (IF) band to baseband signal. This paper briefs a hardware efficient DDC architecture which is made of COordinate Rotation Digital Computer (CORDIC) processor act as a digital oscillator followed by multi-stage Cascaded Integrator Comb (CIC) performs as a high rate decimation filter and then Multi-channel Systolic Finite Impulse Response (MSFIR) decimation filter allows perfect output. All of these components of the proposed DDC architecture have been designed in Xilinx ISE 14.7 simulator using optimization techniques and targeted to the Xilinx Kintex-7 Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) device. Implementation of DDC on FPGA provides high flexibility, moderate cost and customizability. The result analysis of the proposed DDC model is superior to the similar design with regard to area, operating speed and power consumption. The implemented DDC design is used to transform input bandwidth from about 70 MHz to 137 kHz, matching in Software Defined Radio (SDR) system requirements.
The authors would like to thank Brainware Group of Institutions and Kalyani Government Engineering College for providing the ISE design suite 14.7 and Xilinx FPGA device.
- Altera Corporation (2017) AN639: Inferring stratix V DSP blocks for FIR filtering applicationsGoogle Scholar
- Datta D, Mitra P, Dutta HS (2019) Implementation of universal modulator using CORDIC architecture in FPGA. In: Mandal J, Mukhopadhyay S, Dutta P, Dasgupta K (eds) Computational intelligence, communications, and business analytics. CICBA 2018. Communications in computer and information science, vol 1030, chapter 34. Springer, Singapore, pp 434–441. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-8578-0_34 Google Scholar
- Fei-yu L, Wei-ming Q, Yan-yu W, Tai-lian L, Jin F, Jian-chuan Z (2009) Efficient WCDMA digital down converter design using system generator. In: IEEE international conference on space science and communication, 2009, pp 89–92Google Scholar
- Loehning M, Hentschel T, Fettweis G (2000) Digital down conversion in software radio terminals. In: 10th European signal processing conference, vol. 3, 2000, FinlandGoogle Scholar
- Wolf W (2004) FPGA-based system design. Prentice-Hall, Englewood CliffsGoogle Scholar
- Zhang Q, Su X (2012) The design of digital down converter based on FPGA. In: 8th Internatinal conference on wireless communications, networking and mobile computing, IEEE Xplore, Shanghai, China. https://doi.org/10.1109/WiCOM.2012.6478707