Compact high isolation and improved bandwidth hybrid RF MEMS SPDT switch for 5G applications
Fifth generation (5G) communication system enables the pathway for a higher data transfer rate. The frequency bands used for 5G communication system are distributed from lower frequency range (600 MHz) to a higher frequency range (60 GHz). So it is necessary that a single switch should be able to cover the complete range of 5G frequency bands. The ohmic radio frequency-micro electromechanical system (RF-MEMS) switch has offered high isolation at lower frequencies (> 40 dB up to 2.5 GHz). However, 5G requires a higher frequency range which is covered by capacitive switch. The capacitive switch has limitations of limited bandwidth and large size. In this paper, a hybrid technique is used for the designing of a compact, high isolation and the enhanced bandwidth SPDT RF MEMS switch for 5G applications. The size of the proposed switch is half from the conventional capacitive RF MEMS switch and offer greater than 40 dB isolation over a wide frequency range (> 40 dB over 22.10 GHz bandwidth) with less than 0.30 dB insertion loss over the entire band.
Author would like to thank Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), India for providing financial assistance throughout the project MLP-105 and providing CSIR-SRF Fellowship.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Author declares no conflict of interest.
- Dyck CW et al (2004) Fabrication and characterization of ohmic contacting RF MEMS switches. Int Soc Optics Photon 5344:5310–5344Google Scholar
- Introducing 5G networks—characteristics and usages. https://www.gemalto.com/brochures-site/download-site/Documents/tel-5G-networks-QandA.pdf
- Ilkhechi AK, Mirzajani H, Aghdam EN, Ghavifekr HB (2015) A novel electrostatically actuated SPDT rotary RF MEMS switch for ultra-broadband applications. In: ICEE 2015—Proc. 23rd Iran. Conf. Electr. Eng., vol. 10, pp. 1175–1179Google Scholar
- Meniconi E, Schoenlinner B, Prechtel U, Hartmann J, Sorrentino R, Ziegler V (2011) Broadband RF -MEMS based switching network for automated measurements of multifeed antennas. In: 2011 6th Eur. Microw. Integr. Circuit Conf., no. October, pp. 1237–1240Google Scholar
- Rebeiz GM (2003) RF MEMS: theory, design, and technology. 2003Google Scholar
- What are 5G frequency bands. https://www.rfpage.com/what-are-5g-frequency-bands/
- 5G Mobile Wireless Technology. https://www.electronics-notes.com/articles/connectivity/5g-mobile-wireless-cellular/technology-basics.php