All-optical logic gates based on XPM effect under the PAM-ASK modulation in a symmetric dual NLDC
- 117 Downloads
We investigate the possibility of achieving all-optical logical gates based in a symmetric double non-linear directional coupler (NLDC) working with pulses of 2 ps coded for the pulse amplitude modulation-amplitude shift keying (PAM-ASK), in a digital keying. The effects of group velocity dispersion, nonlinear self phase modulation and cross phase modulation (XPM) are taken into account in a lossless theoretical setup scheme. We analyze the amplitude and shape of the output pulses as a function of the modulation factor \((|\varepsilon |)\) to show that an OR gate can be readily realizable. Further, we also implement an optical sign phase shift in one of the NLDC input channels after the PAM-ASK modulator. We identify parameter regions on which the logical operations NAND, OR and XOR can be performed with the respective re-configurable scheme set by PAM-ASK modulation technique under the XPM effect.
We thank CAPES (Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior), CNPq (Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico), FINEP (Financiadora de Estudos e Projetos), FUNCAP (Fundação Cearense de Amparo a Pesquisa), and FAPEAL (Fundação de Amparo a Pesquisa do estado de Alagoas) for the financial support. Also we thank W.F. de Oliveira for her contributions on the illustrations.
- Agrawal GP (2001) Applications of nonlinear fiber optics, 1st edn. Academic Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Li F, Vo TD, Husko C, Pelusi M, Xu D-X, Ma R, Janz S, Eggleton BJ, Moss DJ (2012) Silicon nanowire based optical XOR logic gate at 40 Gb/s for DPSK data. In: Conference on lasers and electro-optics (CLEO), IEEE. San Jose, CA, USA, 6–11 May 2012, pp 1–2Google Scholar
- Marcuse D (1991) Theory of dieletric optical waveguides. Academic Press, San DiegoGoogle Scholar
- Menezes JWM, Fraga WB, Lima FT, Guimarães GF, Ferreira AC, Lyra ML, Sombra ASB (2011) Study of the performance of an all-optical half adder based on three-core nonlinear directional fiber coupler under delayed and instantaneous nonlinear kerr response. Fiber Integr Opt 30:201–230CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mestdagh DJG (1995) Fundamentals of multiaccess optical fiber networks. Artech House, NorwoodGoogle Scholar
- Snyder AW, Love JD (1983) Optical waveguide theory. Chapman and Hall, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Trivunac-Vukovic N, Milovanovic B (2001) Realization of full set logic gates for all-optical ultrafast switching. In: 5th international conference on telecommunications in modern satellite, cable and broadcasting service, TELSIKS 2001. IEEE, vol 2, pp 500–503Google Scholar
- Wang J, Luo M, Qiu Y, Li X, Gong J, Xu J, Yang Q, Zhang X (2017) Dual-channel AND logic gate based on four-wave mixing in a multimode silicon waveguide. IEEE Photonics J 9(4):7802806Google Scholar