Design and modeling of mode-conversion in ring resonator and its application in all-optical switching
- 81 Downloads
The present paper describes the mode conversion of the optical signal using single waveguide coupled silicon micro-ring resonator (MRR). The mode conversion occurs between quasi-TM and the quasi-TE mode at the through port output with the application of the suitable optical pump power. The modeling of mode-conversion using ring resonator is performed through MATLAB as well as by finite-difference-time-domain (FDTD) simulation and further used to perform the all-optical switch. The refractive index contrast, height to width ratio of the waveguide and the choice of suitable wavelength and power for optical pumping and source are responsible for mode-conversion in the ring resonator. The application of mode-conversion to design all-optical switch in MRR is also included in the paper. Mode-conversion in terms of electric field intensity at a resonant wavelength of around 1.53 μm occurs and is utilized to design all-optical switch. The results obtained from both MATLAB and FDTD justify each other and validate the proposed concept. Some ‘Figure of merits’ and ‘Spectral parameters’ are calculated in the report to analyze the performance of the design.
The authors of the paper want to thank Prof. Qingzhong Huang, Wuhan National Laboratory for Optoelectronics, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, 430074, China for his valuable discussion and comments.
- Chremmos I et al (eds) (2010) Photonic microresonator research and applications. Springer Series in Optical Sciences, vol 156, chap 2Google Scholar
- Heebner JE (2003) Nonlinear optical whispering gallery microresonators for photonics. The University of Rochester, Institute of Optics, RochesterGoogle Scholar
- Lumerical FDTD solutions [Online]-http://www.lumerical.com/tcad-products/fdtd/
- Mookherjea S, Melloni A (2008) Microring resonators in integrated opticsGoogle Scholar
- Rabus DG (2007) Integrated ring resonators. Springer, ISBN: 978-3-540-68786-3, XVIGoogle Scholar
- Rakshit JK, Roy JN (2016a) All-optical ultrafast switching in a silicon microring resonator and its application to design multiplexer/demultiplexer, adder/subtractor and comparator circuit. Opt Appl 46:517–539Google Scholar
- Rakshit JK, Chottopadhyay T, Roy JN (2013b) Design of microring resonator based all-optical adder/subtractor. Theor Appl Phys 1:32–43Google Scholar
- Sanders GA, Smith RB, Rouse GF (1989) Novel polarization-rotating fiber resonator for rotation sensing applications. Fiber Optic and Laser Sensors SPIE 1169Google Scholar
- Urquhart P (1988) Compound optical-fiber-based resonators. OSA A 5(6):803–812Google Scholar