The properties of free-standing epoxy polymer multi-mode optical waveguides
- 87 Downloads
The paper reports on the fabrication and characterisation of free-standing multimode optical epoxy polymer waveguides consisting of a core made of EpoCore and EpoClad polymer cladding and cover protection layers. The 50 × 50 μm2 rectangular waveguides are intended for short-reach optical interconnection and optimised for an operating wavelength of 850 nm. The waveguides of the proposed shapes were fabricated by a standard photolithography process on a silicon substrate provided with a Poly(vinyl alcohol) thin layer. The free-standing structure was then achieved by peeling the deposited EpoClad/EpoCore/EpoClad structures of that substrate. The optical scattering losses of the created planar waveguides, measured by the fibre probe technique at 632.8 and 964 nm, were 0.30 dB cm−1 at 632.8 nm and 0.17 dB cm−1 at 964 nm. Propagation optical loss measurements for rectangular waveguides were performed by the cut-back method and the best samples had optical losses below 0.55 dB cm−1 at 850 and 1310 nm.
This work was supported by the Epsilon Programme of the Technology Agency of the Czech Republic, Project no. TH01020276, and by the CTU Grant no. SGS17/188/OHK3/3T/13.
- Metricon Corporation (2018). http://www.metricon.com. Accessed 18 May 2018
- Micro resist technology GmbH: datasheet (2018). http://microchem.com/products/images/uploads/PI_EpoCoreClad.pdf
- Prajzler V, Klapuch J, Lyutakov O, Huttel I, Spirkova J, Nekvindova P, Jerabek V (2011) Design, fabrication and properties of rib poly(methylmethacrylimide) optical waveguides. Radioengineering 20:479–485Google Scholar
- Prajzler V, Nekvindova P, Hyps P, Lyutakov O, Jerabek V (2014) Flexible polymer planar optical waveguides. Radioengineering 23:776–782Google Scholar
- Prajzler V, Nekvindova P, Hyps P, Jerabek V (2015b) Optical properties of polymer planar waveguides deposited on flexible foils. J Opt Adv Mater 17:1597–1602Google Scholar
- Tekin T, Pleros N, Pitwon R, Hakansson A (2016) Optical interconnects for data centers, 1st edn. Woodhead, Sawston. ISBN 9780081005125Google Scholar