Reply to Comment by M. Narkiewicz on “Depth-to-basement for the East European craton and Teisseyre-Tornquist Zone in Poland based on potential field data, by Mikołajczak et al., International Journal of Earth Sciences (2019) 108:547–567”
- 18 Downloads
We are grateful to M. Narkiewicz for his interest in our publication (Mikołajczak et al. 2019) and giving us a chance to look at it through the eyes of a reader. We are also thankful for notification of these aspects of our work that were not sufficiently elaborated in the commented paper. We are, therefore, eager to briefly address the main points of criticism raised in the discussion article (Narkiewicz 2019).
The nature of deep basement
In response to concerns raised by M. Narkiewicz regarding the chronostratigraphic assignment of crystalline basement in the study area, we emphasise that the basement is referred to as Paleoproterozoic since by the end of that era the crust of the present-day East European Craton was already consolidated (Bogdanova et al. 2008). This cratonic basement was subsequently intruded by Mesoproterozoic AMCG plutons and minor Carboniferous intrusions (Krzemińska et al. 2017) in an intra-plate setting. However, these magmatic pulses did not...
M. Mikołajczak and S. Mazur acknowledge financial support from the Polish National Science Centre Grant no. UMO-2011/01/B/ST10/04713.
- Central Geological Database (2019) Boreholes. http://geoportal.pgi.gov.pl/otwory, Accessed 26 Mar 2019
- Dąbrowski A (1974) Geological causes of gravity anomalies in the area of Poland as shown by studies of weight by volume of rocks. Prace Instytutu Geologicznego 73:5–9 (in Polish with English summary) Google Scholar
- Grad M, Guterch A, Keller GR, Janik T, Hegedus E, Vozár J, Ślączka A, Tiira T, Yliniemi J (2006) Lithospheric structure beneath trans-Carpathian transect from Precambrian platform to Pannonian basin: CELEBRATION 2000 seismic profile CEL05. J Geophys Res 111:B03301. https://doi.org/10.1029/2005JB003647 Google Scholar
- Guterch A, Grad M (2006) Lithospheric structure of the TESZ in Poland based on modern seismic experiments. Geol Q 50(1):23–32Google Scholar
- Krzemińska E, Krzemiński L, Petecki Z, Wiszniewska J, Salwa S, Żaba J, Gaidzik K, Williams IS, Rosowiecka O, Taran L, Johansson Å, Pécskay Z, Demaiffe D, Grabowski J, Zieliński G (2017) Geological map of crystalline basement in the Polish part of the East European Platform 1:1 000 000. Państwowy Instytut Geologiczny, WarszawaGoogle Scholar
- Krzywiec P, Malinowski M, Mazur S, Buffenmyer V, Lewandowski M (2014) Structure and Phanerozoic evolution of the SW edge of the East European Craton in Poland—new insight from high-effort seismic reflection data (project PolandSPAN). Geol Sudetica 42:46–48Google Scholar
- Krzywiec P, Mazur S, Gągała Ł, Kufrasa M, Lewandowski M, Malinowski M, Buffenmyer V (2017a) Late Carboniferous thin-skinned compressional deformation above the SW edge of the East European craton as revealed by seismic reflection and potential field data—Correlations with the Variscides and the Appalachians. In: Law RD, Thigpen JR, Merschat AJ, Stowell HH (Eds.), Linkages and Feedbacks in Orogenic Systems. Geological Society of America Memoir 213:353–372. https://doi.org/10.1130/2017.1213(14)
- Krzywiec P, Gągała Ł, Mazur S, Słonka Ł, Kufrasa M, Malinowski M, Pietsch K, Golonka J (2017b) Variscan deformation along the Teisseyre-Tornquist Zone in SE Poland: thick-skinned structural inheritance or thin-skinned thrusting? Tectonophysics 718:83–91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tecto.2017.06.008 Google Scholar
- Majdański M (2012) The structure of the crust in TESZ area by Kriging interpolation. Acta Geophys 60:59–75Google Scholar
- Malinowski M, Guterch A, Narkiewicz M, Probulski J, Maksym A, Majdański M, Środa P, Czuba W, Gaczynski E, Grad M, Janik T, Jankowski L, Adamczyk A (2013) Deep seismic reflection profile in Central Europe reveals complex pattern of Paleozoic and Alpine accretion at the East European Craton margin. Geophys Res Lett 40(15):3841–3846. https://doi.org/10.1002/grl.50746 Google Scholar
- Mazur S, Krzywiec P, Malinowski M, Lewandowski M, Aleksandrowski P, Mikołajczak M (2018b) On the nature of the Teisseyre-Tornquist Zone. Geol Geophys Environ 44(1):17–30Google Scholar
- Narkiewicz M, Petecki Z (2017) Basement structure of the Paleozoic Platform in Poland. Geol Q 61(2):502–520Google Scholar
- Petecki Z (2002) Gravity and magnetic modelling along the seismic LT-7 profile. Przegląd Geologiczny 50:630–633 (in Polish with English summary) Google Scholar
- Petecki Z (2006) Integrated gravity and magnetic modeling along P4 seismic profile. Prace Państwowego Instytutu Geologicznego 188:77–87 (in Polish, English summary) Google Scholar
- Polechońska O, Wróblewska M (2006) Structure of the lithosphere along POLONAISE’97 project profiles based on two-dimensional thermal-gravity modelling. Prace Państwowego Instytutu Geologicznego 188:89–95 (in Polish with English summary) Google Scholar