Maize leaf disease classification using deep convolutional neural networks
- 20 Downloads
Crop diseases are a major threat to food security. Identifying the diseases rapidly is still a difficult task in many parts of the world due to the lack of the necessary infrastructure. The accurate identification of crop diseases is highly desired in the field of agricultural information. In this study, we propose a deep convolutional neural network (CNN)-based architecture (modified LeNet) for maize leaf disease classification. The experimentation is carried out using maize leaf images from the PlantVillage dataset. The proposed CNNs are trained to identify four different classes (three diseases and one healthy class). The learned model achieves an accuracy of 97.89%. The simulation results for the classification of maize leaf disease show the potential efficiency of the proposed method.
KeywordsDeep learning CNN Maize leaf disease PCA whitening
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Zhang Z, He X, Sun X, Guo L, Wang J, Wang F (2015) Image recognition of maize leaf disease based on GA-SVM. Chem Eng Trans 46:199–204Google Scholar
- 2.Alehegn E (2017) Maize leaf diseases recognition and classification based on imaging and machine learning techniques. Int J Innov Res Comput Commun Eng 5(12):1–11Google Scholar
- 6.Badea MS, Felea II, Florea LM, Vertan C (2016) The use of deep learning in image segmentation, classification and detection. arXiv:1605.09612 [cs.CV]
- 7.Xu X, Dehghani A, Corrigan D, Caulfield S, Moloney D (2016), Convolutional neural network for 3D object recognition using volumetric representation. In: First international workshop on sensing, processing and learning for intelligent machines (SPLINE)Google Scholar
- 10.Kawaski R, Uga H, Kagiwada S, Iyatomi H (2015) Basic study of viral plant diseases using convolutional neural networks. In: Proceedings of the international symposium on visual computing, pp 638–645Google Scholar
- 14.Li F-F, Johnson J, Yeung S (2017) Convolutional neural networks for visual recognition lecture notesGoogle Scholar
- 15.Zhang L, Yang B (2014) Research on recognition of maize disease based on mobile internet and support vector machine technique. Adv Mater Res 905:659–662. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.905.659 CrossRefGoogle Scholar