A new fuzzy logic estimator for reduction of commutation current pulsation in brushless DC motor drives with three-phase excitation
- 140 Downloads
Under the operation of brushless DC motor with three-phase excitation, commutation current pulsation is produced at each commutation at high-speed region. As it can be eliminated when the current slew rates are made equal, a simple and effective fuzzy logic estimator (FLE) is presented first time in the literature to reduce such current pulsation. Its function is to simply regulate the commutation angle accurately to maintain the same current slew rates of commutated phases during commutation, thereby keeping the other phase current unchanged. Unlike previous studies, the presented method does not require torque observer or detection circuits for sensing commutation interval, in addition to commutation time calculation. A genetic algorithm is employed for optimal definition of the FLE’s rule base. The presented method is tested by the accurate simulation, and it is proved that the proposed method is quite capable of reducing the commutation current pulsation and improving the motor output power.
KeywordsBrushless DC motor Commutation current pulsation minimization Commutation angle Fuzzy logic estimator Genetic algorithm
This work is being supported by the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey [Grant number 115E685].
- 3.Saygın A, Cemil O, Dalcalı A, Çelik E (2015) Optimum rotor design of small PM BLDC motor based on high efficiency criteria. ARPN J Eng Appl Sci 10:9127–9132Google Scholar
- 6.Meng G, Xiong H, Li H (2009) Commutation torque ripple reduction in BLDC motor using PWM_ON_PWM mode. In: IEEE electrical machines and systems conference, pp 1–6Google Scholar
- 9.Zhang XF, Hu QB, Lu ZY (2005) Torque ripple reduction in brushless DC motor drives using a buck converter. Trans China Electrotech Soc 20:72–81Google Scholar
- 13.Hui H, Weidong J, Yongsheng W, Lei W (2016) Commutation analysis and reducing torque ripple of brushless DC motor based on the coordination transformation. In: IEEE 8th international power electronics and motion control conference, pp 2538–2544Google Scholar
- 14.Shanthamoorthy V, Jothi swaroopan NM (2014) Design of intelligent controller to reduce the torque ripple in a brushless DC motor drive. Int J Adv Res Electr Electron Instr Eng 3:467–476Google Scholar
- 15.Yaya S, Honghua W (2009) Research on reduction of commutation torque ripple in brushless DC motor drives based on fuzzy logic control. In: IEEE 2009 computational intelligence and security conference, pp 240–243Google Scholar