Pegfilgrastim in primary prophylaxis of febrile neutropenia in elderly patients with hematological malignancies—bendamustine and G-CSF support
- 45 Downloads
We would like to thank Osamu Imataki and his colleagues  for their comments on our recent original article about a real-life experience on the use of pegfilgrastim in primary prophylaxis of febrile neutropenia (FN) for patients with non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL) undergoing bendamustine plus rituximab (BR) treatment . Their case report is an example of effectiveness of secondary prophylaxis with G-CSF in a setting of advanced mantle cell lymphoma of an elderly patient (82-year-old) who underwent BR . The authors want to highlight how BR could cause prolonged neutropenia, especially during the following courses of therapy, rather than the initial; therefore, a secondary G-CSF prophylaxis is probably advocated as more properly indicated. There is still lack of data regarding the efficacy of a primary or secondary prophylaxis with G-CSF in BR for patients with NHL. However, our real-life experience suggests that, in a primary prophylactic setting, pegfilgrastim seems to...
- 1.Imataki O, Uchida S, Yokokura S, Uemura M, Kadowaki N (2018) Bendamustine and G-CSF support. Support Care CancerGoogle Scholar
- 2.Cerchione C, De Renzo A, Di Perna M et al (2017) Pegfilgrastim in primary prophylaxis of febrile neutropenia following frontline bendamustine plus rituximab treatment in patients with indolent non-Hodgkin lymphoma: a single center, real-life experience. Support Care Cancer 25(3):839–845CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Mondello P, Steiner N, Willenbacher W, Cerchione C, Nappi D, Mauro E, Ferrero S, Cuzzocrea S, Mian M (2018) Bendamustine plus rituximab versus R-CHOP as first-line treatment for patients with follicular lymphoma grade 3A: evidence from a multicenter, retrospective study. Oncologist 23(4):454–460CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Cerchione C, Catalano L, Peluso I, Nappi D, di Perna M, Salvatore D, Migliaccio I, Picardi M, Pane F (2016) Managing neutropenia by pegfilgrastim in patients affected by relapsed/refractory multiple myeloma treated with bendamustine-bortezomib-dexamethasone. Support Care Cancer 24(12):4835–4837CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Cerchione C, Nappi D, Di Perna M et al (2016) Retreatment with bendamustine-bortezomib-dexamethasone in a patient with relapsed/refractory multiple myeloma. Case Rep Hematol 2016:6745286Google Scholar