A review on the application of fuzzy transform in data and image compression
Fuzzy transform is a relatively recent fuzzy approximation method, mainly used for image and general data processing. Due to the growing interest in the application of fuzzy transform over the last years, it seems proper providing a review of the technique. In this paper, we recall F-transform-based compression methods for data and images. The related works are examined, their motivations are explained, and the theoretical foundations are described. To test practical abilities of the related works, benchmark with emphasis to quality and processing time is established and the corresponding graphs are commented.
KeywordsF-transform Data compression Image compression Fuzzy partition
This research was supported by the project “LQ1602 IT4Innovations excellence in science”.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Authors Petr Hurtik and Stefania Tomasiello declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Human participants or animals performed
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Abdelaal M, Theel O (2013) An efficient and adaptive data compression technique for energy conservation in wireless sensor networks. In: 2013 IEEE conference on wireless sensor (ICWISE). IEEE, pp 124–129Google Scholar
- Bashlovkina V, Abdelaal M, Theel O (2015) Fuzzycat: a novel procedure for refining the f-transform based sensor data compression. In: Proceedings of the 14th international conference on information processing in sensor networks. ACM, pp 340–341Google Scholar
- Deutsch P, Gailly J-L (1996) Zlib compressed data format specification version 3.3, Technical reportGoogle Scholar
- Di Martino F, Sessa S, Perfilieva I (2017) First order fuzzy transform for images compression. J Signal Inf Process 8(03):178Google Scholar
- Gambhir D, Rajpal N (2017) Edge and fuzzy transform based image compression algorithm: Edgefuzzy, In: Artificial intelligence and computer vision. Springer, pp 115–142Google Scholar
- Ghofrani F, Helfroush MS (2011) A modified approach for image compression based on fuzzy transform. In: 2011 19th Iranian conference on electrical engineering (ICEE). IEEE, pp 1–6Google Scholar
- Hurtik P, Perfilieva I (2013a) Image compression methodology based on fuzzy transform using block similarity. In: 8th conference of the European society for fuzzy logic and technology, EUSFLAT 2013—advances in intelligent systems research. pp 521–526Google Scholar
- Hurtik P, Perfilieva I (2013b) Image compression methodology based on fuzzy transform. In: International joint conference CISIS12-ICEUTE’ 12-SOCO’ 12 special sessions. Springer, pp 525–532Google Scholar
- Hurtik P, Perfilieva I (2017) A hybrid image compression algorithm based on jpeg and fuzzy transform. In: 2017 IEEE international conference on fuzzy systems (FUZZ-IEEE). IEEE, pp 1–6Google Scholar
- Hurtik P, Perfilieva I (2018) Noise influence in fzt+jpeg image compression: accepted. In: FLINS 2018. pp 1–7Google Scholar
- Miano J (1999) Compressed image file formats: Jpeg, png, gif, xbm, bmp. Addison-Wesley Professional, BostonGoogle Scholar
- Paternain D, Jurio A, Ruiz-Aranguren J, Minárová M, Takáč Z, Bustince H (2017) Optimized fuzzy transform for image compression. In: Advances in fuzzy logic and technology 2017. Springer, pp 118–128Google Scholar
- Pennebaker WB, Mitchell JL (1992) JPEG: Still image data compression standard. Springer, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- Perfilieva I (2004) Fuzzy transform: application to the reef growth problem. In: Demicco RV, Klir GJ (eds) Fuzzy logic in geology. Elsevier, pp 275–300Google Scholar
- Perfilieva I (2005) Fuzzy transforms and their applications to image compression, In: International Workshop on Fuzzy Logic and Applications, Springer, pp. 19–31Google Scholar
- Perfilieva I, Haldeeva E (2001) Fuzzy transformation. In: IFSA world congress and 20th NAFIPS international conference, 2001. Joint 9th, vol 4. IEEE, pp 1946–1948Google Scholar
- Perfilieva I, Valásek R (2005) Data compression on the basis of fuzzy transforms. In: EUSFLAT conference, Citeseer. pp 663–668Google Scholar
- Perfilieva I, Vlašánek P (2013) Influence of various types of basic functions on image reconstruction using f-transform. In: 8th conference of the european society for fuzzy logic and technology, EUSFLAT 2013—advances in intelligent systems research. pp 497–502Google Scholar
- Perfilieva I, Pavliska V, Vajgl M, De Baets B et al (2008) Advanced image compression on the basis of fuzzy transforms. In: Proceedings of the conference on IPMU. pp 1167–1174Google Scholar
- Sztyber A (2014) Analysis of usefulness of a fuzzy transform for industrial data compression. In: Journal of physics: conference series, vol 570. IOP Publishing, p 042002Google Scholar