Swap structures semantics for Ivlev-like modal logics
- 9 Downloads
In 1988, J. Ivlev proposed some (non-normal) modal systems which are semantically characterized by four-valued non-deterministic matrices in the sense of A. Avron and I. Lev. Swap structures are multialgebras (a.k.a. hyperalgebras) of a special kind, which were introduced in 2016 by W. Carnielli and M. Coniglio in order to give a non-deterministic semantical account for several paraconsistent logics known as logics of formal inconsistency, which are not algebraizable by means of the standard techniques. Each swap structure induces naturally a non-deterministic matrix. The aim of this paper is to obtain a swap structures semantics for some Ivlev-like modal systems proposed in 2015 by M. Coniglio, L. Fariñas del Cerro and N. Peron. Completeness results will be stated by means of the notion of Lindenbaum–Tarski swap structures, which constitute a natural generalization to multialgebras of the concept of Lindenbaum–Tarski algebras.
KeywordsSwap structures Modal logics Non-deterministic matrices Lindenbaum–Tarski algebra
The authors would like to thank to the anonymous referees for their insightful comments and suggestions, which helped us to improve the overall quality of the paper. Marcelo E. Coniglio was financially supported by an individual research Grant from CNPq, Brazil (308524/2014-4). Ana Claudia Golzio was financially supported by scholarship Grant from FAPESP, Brazil (2013/04568-1), and by a post-doctoral Grant from CNPq, Brazil (150064/2018-7).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Marcelo E. Coniglio declares that he has no conflict of interest. Ana Claudia Golzio declares that she has no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Avron A, Lev I (2001) Canonical propositional Gentzen-type systems. In: Goré R, Leitsch A, Nipkow T (eds) International joint conference on automated reasoning, IJCAR 2001. Lecture notes in computer science, vol 2083. Springer, Berlin, pp 529–544. https://doi.org/10.1007/3-540-45744-5_45 Google Scholar
- Avron A, Zamansky A (2011) Non-deterministic semantics for logical systems. In: Gabbay DM, Guenthner F (eds) Handbook of philosophical logic. volume 16 of handbook of philosophical logic. Springer, Dordrecht, pp 227–304Google Scholar
- Coniglio ME, Figallo-Orellano A, Golzio AC (2018) Non-deterministic algebraization of logics by swap structures. Log J IGPL. https://doi.org/10.1093/jigpal/jzy072
- Marty F (1934) Sur une généralisation de la notion de groupe. In: Proceedings of 8th congress mathematiciens, Scandinaves, pp 45–49Google Scholar
- Omori H, Skurt D (2016) More modal semantics without possible worlds. IfCoLog J Log Appl 3(5):815–846Google Scholar