Application of hybrid heuristic technique for optimal shunt capacitors planning problem in radial distribution network
- 69 Downloads
This paper proposes a hybrid HS–DE algorithm-based optimal node identification and sizing of shunt capacitors with an aim to enhance the performance of the radial distribution network. To enhance the exploitation power of harmony search algorithm (HSA), differential evolution algorithm (DE) is embedded with it. The combination of sensitivity analysis and hybrid HS–DE algorithm is used to trace the optimal solution for the installation of shunt capacitive compensation. A comprehensive objective function is formulated to minimize real power loss, improve the voltage stability and voltage profile of the distribution network. The suitability of the proposed hybrid HS–DE-based approach has been validated using IEEE 69 node radial distribution test network at three discrete load scenarios, and the result outcomes are compared with HSA, DE and other similar methods in the literature. The simulation results reflect the superiority and robustness of the hybrid HS–DE-based approach for solving shunt capacitor planning problem in radial distribution networks.
KeywordsRadial distribution network (RDN) Harmony search algorithm (HSA) Differential evolution (DE) Loss sensitivity factor (LSF)
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
All authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Aman MM, Jasmon GB, Bakar AHH, Mokhlis H (2012) Optimum capacitor placement and sizing for distribution system based on an improved voltage stability index. Int Rev Electr Eng 7(3):4622–4630Google Scholar
- Eminoglu U, Hocaoglu MH (2009) A network topology based voltage stability index for radial distribution networks. Int J Electr Power Energy Syst 29(2):131–143Google Scholar
- Fahmi A, Abdullah S, Amin F, Khan MSA (2018c) Trapezoidal cubic fuzzy number Einstein hybrid weighted averaging operators and its application to decision making. Soft Comput 1–31. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00500-018-3242-6
- Fahmi A, Abdullah S, Amin F, Ali A, Ahmad Khan W (2018d) Some geometric operators with triangular cubic linguistic hesitant fuzzy number and their application in group decision-making. J Intell Fuzzy Syst 35:1–15. https://doi.org/10.3233/JIFS-18125
- https://www.gita.org.in/Attachments/Reports/IndiaEnergyOutlook_WEO2015.pdf. Accessed 7 Sept 2018
- Muthukumar K, Jayalalitha S, Karthika R (2013) Unbalanced radial distribution system power loss reduction by optimal distributed generator sizing and location using differential evolution technique. Int Rev Model Simul 6(4):1176–1412Google Scholar
- Neelimarakesh S, Subramanyam PS (2011) Efficient optimal sizing and allocation of capacitors in radial distribution systems using drdlf and differential evolution. Int J Electr Power Eng 2(3):56–61Google Scholar
- Prakash K, Sydulu M (2007) Particle swam optimization based capacitor placement on radial distribution systems. In: IEEE PES general meeting, pp 1–5Google Scholar
- Reddy MD, Kumar NV (2012) Optimal capacitor placement for loss reduction in distribution systems using fuzzy and harmony search algorithm. ARPN J Eng Appl Sci 7:15–19Google Scholar
- Sarma AK, Rafi KM (2011) Optimal selection of capacitors for radial distribution systems using plant growth simulation algorithm. Int J Adv Sci Technol 30:43–54Google Scholar
- Sedighizadeh M, Kalimdast MA (2012) Honey bee foraging approach to optimal capacitor placement with harmonic distortion consideration. Int Rev Electr Eng 7(1):3592–3599Google Scholar
- Shayeghi H, Karimi M, Farhadi P (2012) Solving optimal capacitor placement problem using improved bi-strategy differential evolutionary algorithm considering varying load conditions. Int Rev Electr Eng 7(2):4092–4104Google Scholar
- Sudharani D, Subrahmanyan N, Syudulu M (2013) Self adaptive harmony search Algorithm for optimal capacitor placement on radial distribution systems. In: International conference on energy-efficient technologies for sustainability, pp 1330–1335Google Scholar
- Sydulu M, Reddy VVK (2007) Index and GA based optimal location and sizing of distribution system capacitor. In: IEEE PES general meeting, pp 1–4Google Scholar
- Yang XS (2009) Harmony search as a metaheuristic algorithm. In: Music-inspired harmony search algorithm: theory and applications. Studies in computational intelligence, vol 191. Springer, Berlin, pp 1–14Google Scholar