A genetic algorithm approach to the smart grid tariff design problem
- 134 Downloads
Smart metering in electricity markets offers an opportunity to explore more diverse tariff structures. In this article residential electricity demand and the System Marginal Price of Ireland’s Single Electricity Market are simulated to estimate the wholesale risk associated with possible tariffs. A genetic algorithm (GA) with a stochastic fitness function is proposed to search for time-of-use tariffs that minimise wholesale risk to the supplier in residential markets. Alternative search algorithms and fitness functions are investigated in detail, as well as trade-offs in GA and simulation parameter settings.
KeywordsSmart grid tariff design Genetic algorithm Stochastic fitness function
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Will Rogers worked for Bord Gáis (an Irish electricity supply company) and declares that he has no conflict of interest. Paula Carroll and James McDermott declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- CER: Commission for energy regulation (2011) Electricity smart metering customer behaviour trials (CBT) findings report. http://www.cer.ie/docs/000340/cer11080.pdf. Accessed Nov 2014
- CER (2014) Commission for energy regulation national smart metering programme smart metering high level design. Decision paper 046, CER. Accessed June 2016Google Scholar
- COM (2010) Energy 2020 a strategy for competitive, sustainable and secure energy. Technical report 639, European Union. http://ec.europa.eu/energy/publications/doc
- de Sa Ferreira R, Barroso L, Rochinha Lino P, Carvalho M, Valenzuela P (2013) Time-of-use tariff design under uncertainty in price-elasticities of electricity demand. A stochastic optimization approach. IEEE Trans Smart Grid 4(4):2285–2295. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2013.2241087 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gonçalves I, Silva S (2013) Balancing learning and overfitting in genetic programming with interleaved sampling of training data. In: Krawiec K, Moraglio A, Hu T, Etaner-Uyar AŞ, Hu B (eds) Genetic programming. Lecture notes in computer science, vol 7831. Springer, Berlin, pp 73–84. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-37207-0_7
- Meng FL, Zeng XJ (2013) A Stackelberg game-theoretic approach to optimal real-time pricing for the smart grid. Soft Comput 17(12):2365–2380. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00500-013-1092-9
- R Core Team: R (2014) A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. http://www.R-project.org/
- SEMO: Single electricity market (2015) System marginal price data. http://www.sem-o.com/Pages/MDB_SMP_EA_EUR.aspx. Accessed January 2015