Null controllability via comparison results for nonlinear age-structured population dynamics
- 74 Downloads
We consider an infinite dimensional nonlinear controlled system describing age-structured population dynamics, where the birth and the mortality rates are nonlinear functions of the population size. The control being active on some age range, we give sharp conditions subject to the age range and the control time horizon to get the null controllability of the nonlinear controlled population dynamics. The main novelty is that we use here as a main ingredient the comparison principle for age-structured population dynamics, and in case of null controllability we provide a feedback control with a very simple structure, while preserving the nonnegativity of the state trajectory. Finally, we establish the lack of the null controllability for the linear Lotka-McKendrick equation with spatial diffusion when the control acts in a subset of the habitat and we want to preserve the positivity of the state trajectory.
KeywordsPopulation dynamics Null controllability Feedback controls Nonlinearities Nonnegativity
Thanks are due to the Anonymous Referees for their precious advices and suggestions.
- 2.Ainseba B, Aniţa S (2004) Internal exact controllability of the linear population dynamics with diffusion. Electron J Differ Equ pp. No. 112, 11 pp. (electronic)Google Scholar
- 5.Aniţa S (2000) Analysis and control of age-dependent population dynamics. Mathematical modelling: theory and applications, vol 11. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-015-9436-3
- 9.Hegoburu N, Tucsnak M (2017) Null controllability of the Lotka-McKendrick system with spatial diffusion. https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-01648088. Working paper or preprint
- 10.Iannelli M (1995) Mathematical theory of age-structured population dynamics. Giardini Editori e Stampatori in PisaGoogle Scholar
- 14.Maity D (2018) On the null controllability of the Lotka-Mckendrick system. Working paper or preprintGoogle Scholar
- 15.Maity D, Tucsnak M, Zuazua E (2018) Controllability and positivity constraints in population dynamics with age structuring and diffusion. https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-01764865. Working paper or preprint
- 17.Traore O (2006) Null controllability of a nonlinear population dynamics problem. Int J Math Math Sci pp. Art. ID 49279, 20. https://doi.org/10.1155/IJMMS/2006/49279
- 18.Tucsnak M, Weiss G (2009) Observation and control for operator semigroups. Birkhäuser Advanced Texts: Basler Lehrbücher. [Birkhäuser Advanced Texts: Basel Textbooks]. Birkhäuser Verlag, Basel. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-7643-8994-9