Graded-material design based on phase-field and topology optimization
- 73 Downloads
In the present work we introduce a novel graded-material design based on phase-field and topology optimization. The main novelty of this work comes from the introduction of an additional phase-field variable in the classical single-material phase-field topology optimization algorithm. This new variable is used to grade the material properties in a continuous fashion. Two different numerical examples are discussed, in both of them, we perform sensitivity studies to asses the effects of different model parameters onto the resulting structure. From the presented results we can observe that the proposed algorithm adds additional freedom in the design, exploiting the higher flexibility coming from additive manufacturing technology.
KeywordsPhase-field Functionally graded material Multi-material design Topology optimization Additive manufacturing
This work was partially supported by Regione Lombardia through the Project “TPro.SL - Tech Profiles for Smart Living” (No. 379384) within the Smart Living program, and through the project “MADE4LO - Metal ADditivE for LOmbardy” (No. 240963) within the POR FESR 2014-2020 program. MC and AR have been partially supported by Fondazione Cariplo - Regione Lombardia through the project “Verso nuovi strumenti di simulazione super veloci ed accurati basati sull’analisi isogeometrica”, within the program RST - rafforzamento. This research has been performed in the framework of the project Fondazione Cariplo-Regione Lombardia MEGAsTAR “Matematica d’Eccellenza in biologia ed ingegneria come acceleratore di una nuova strateGia per l’ATtRattività dell’ateneo pavese”. The present paper also benefits from the support of the GNAMPA (Gruppo Nazionale per l’Analisi Matematica, la Probabilità e le loro Applicazioni) of INdAM (Istituto Nazionale di Alta Matematica) for ER. A grateful acknowledgment goes to Dr. Ing. Gianluca Alaimo for his support and precious suggestions on additive manufacturing technology.
- 20.Blank L, Farshbaf-Shaker MH, Garcke H, Rupprecht C, Styles V (2014) Multi-material phase field approach to structural topology optimization. In: Leugering G, Benner P, Engell S, Griewank A, Harbrecht H, Hinze M, Rannacher R, Ulbrich S (eds) Trends in PDE constrained optimization, vol 165. Springer, Cham, pp 231–246Google Scholar
- 27.Brackett D, Ashcroft I, Hague R (2014) Topology optimization for additive manufacturing. In: solid freeform fabrication symposium (SFF), AustinGoogle Scholar
- 28.Cheng L, Zhang P, Biyikli E, Bai J, Pilz S, To AC (2015) Integration of topology optimization with efficient design of additive manufactured cellular structures. In: Solid freeform fabrication symposium (SFF), Austin (2015)Google Scholar
- 31.Allen SM, Cahn JW (1979) A microscopic theory for antiphase boundary motion and its application to antiphase domain coarsening. Acta Metall 27(6):1085–1095 ISSN 00016160Google Scholar
- 32.Auricchio F, Bonetti E, Carraturo M, Hömberg D, Reali A, Rocca E (2018) Structural multiscale topology optimization with stress constraint for additive manufacturing. Work in progressGoogle Scholar