An integrated bio-process for production of functional biomolecules utilizing raw and by-products from dairy and sugarcane industries
- 62 Downloads
The study investigated an integrated bioprocessing of raw and by-products from sugarcane and dairy industries for production of non-digestible prebiotic and functional ingredients. The low-priced feedstock, whey, molasses, table sugar, jaggery, etc., were subjected to transglucosylation reactions catalyzed by dextransucrase from Leuconostoc mesenteroides MTCC 10508. HPLC analysis approximated production of about 11–14 g L−1 trisaccharide i.e. 2-α-d-glucopyranosyl-lactose (4-galactosyl-kojibiose) from the feedstock prepared from table sugar, jaggery, cane molasses and liquid whey, containing about 30 g L−1 sucrose and lactose each. The trisaccharide was hydrolysed into the prebiotic disaccharide, kojibiose, by employing recombinant β-galactosidase from Escherichia coli. The enzyme β-galactosidase achieved about 90% conversion of 2-α-d-glucopyranosyl-lactose into kojibiose. The d-fructose generated by catalytic reactions of dextransucrase was targeted for catalytic transformation into rare sugar, d-allulose (or d-psicose), by treating the samples with Smt3-d-psicose 3-epimerase. The catalytic reactions resulted in the conversion of ~ 25% d-fructose to d-allulose. These bioactive compounds are known to exert a plethora of benefits to human health, and therefore, are preferred ingredients for making functional foods.
Keywords2-α-d-Glucopyranosyl-lactose Kojibiose d-Allulose Dextran Cane molasses Liquid whey Table sugar Jaggery
The authors acknowledge the Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Government of India for facilitating the present work at Center of Innovative and Applied Bioprocessing (CIAB), Mohali, India. KL acknowledges Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB) for providing N-PDF fellowship (PDF/2016/000408). SPS acknowledges ECR/2016/001228 grant. The thematic disclosures herein are covered in Indian patent file no. 201711006155.
- 43.Purama RK, Goyal A (2008) Purified dextransucrase from Leuconostoc mesenteroides NRRL B640 exists as single homogeneous protein: analysis by nondenaturing native PAGE. Internet J Microbiol 6:1Google Scholar
- 44.Liu Z, Zhao C, Deng Y, Huang Y, Liu B (2015) Characterization of a thermostable recombinant β-galactosidase from a thermophilic anaerobic bacterial consortium YTY-70. Biotechnol Biotechnol Equip 29(3):547554Google Scholar
- 47.Rahiman F, Pool EJ (2016) The effect of sugar cane molasses on the immune and male reproductive systems using in vitro and in vivo methods. Iran J Basic Med Sci 19:1125Google Scholar
- 48.Sharma M, Patel SN, Sangwan RS, Singh SP (2017) Biotransformation of banana pseudostem extract into a functional juice containing value added biomolecules of potential health benefits. Indian J Exp Biol 55:453–462Google Scholar
- 51.Shah HS, Patel CM, Parikh SC (2013) Production of invertase from bacteria by using waste jaggery. Microbes 3:19–23Google Scholar