Feeding strategies for the enhanced production of α-arbutin in the fed-batch fermentation of Xanthomonas maltophilia BT-112
- 422 Downloads
To develop a cost-effective method for the enhanced production of α-arbutin using Xanthomonas maltophilia BT-112 as a biocatalyst, different fed-batch strategies such as constant feed rate fed-batch, constant hydroquinone (HQ) concentration fed-batch, exponential fed-batch and DO-control pulse fed-batch (DPFB) on α-arbutin production were investigated. The research results indicated that DPFB was an effective method for α-arbutin production. When fermentation with DO-control pulse feeding strategy to feed HQ and yeast extract was applied, the maximum concentrations of α-arbutin and cell dry weight were 61.7 and 4.21 g/L, respectively. The α-arbutin production was 394 % higher than that of the control (batch culture) and the molar conversion yield of α-arbutin reached 94.5 % based on the amount of HQ supplied (240 mM). Therefore, the results in this work provide an efficient and easily controlled method for industrial-scale production of α-arbutin.
Keywordsα-Arbutin Fed-batch fermentation Xanthomonas maltophilia Hydroquinone DO-control pulse fed-batch
This project has been funded by the Key Projects in the National Science & Technology Pillar Program during the 12th 5 years Plan Period (2011BAD22B04), the National Natural Science Foundation of China (21246005), and the National Basic Research Program of China (973 program) (2013CB733600).
- 4.Kurosu J, Sato T, Yoshida K, Tsugane T, Shimura S, Kirimura K, Kino K, Usami S (2002) Enzymatic synthesis of α-arbutin by α-anomer-selective glycosylation of hydroquinone using lyophilized cells of Xanthomonas campestris Wu-9701. J Biosci Bioeng 93:328–330Google Scholar
- 11.Shen DX, Shi X, Wang Y, Fu JL, Zhou ZC (2003) Inhibitory effect of thioredoxin on cytotoxicity of hydroquinone. Chin J Pharmacol Toxicol 17:55–60Google Scholar
- 12.Liu CQ, Zhang SR, Zhang P (2006) Biocatalytic synthesis of α-arbutin by Xanthomonas BT-112. Chin J Catal 27:361–364Google Scholar
- 13.Liu CQ, Zhang SR, Zhang P (2006) Mutation breeding of Xanthomonas maltophilia for the synthesis of α-arbutin. J Beijing Univ Chem Technol 33:13–16Google Scholar
- 16.Zhang XL, Xia ZJ, Liu Y, Zhao BX, Zheng XG, Xiong ZH (2001) Effects of nutrition and its feeding strategy on the expression of α-amylase in fed-batch cultivation of recombinant yeast. Chem Res Chinese Universities 15:144–148Google Scholar
- 17.Liu XL, Xiao CM, Xu YT, Qi W, Du LX (2001) High-density cultivation of Bacillus coagulans using fed-batch method. Biotechnology 11:20–23Google Scholar
- 18.Yu EK, Saddler JN (1983) Fed-batch approach to production of 2,3-butanediol by Klebsiella pneumoniae grown on high substrate concentrations. Appl Environ Microbiol 46:630–635Google Scholar