SOX11 expression in a case of papillary thyroid carcinoma with fibromatosis/fasciitis-like stroma containing BRAF c.1799_1801delTGA and CTNNB1 c.133T>C mutations
- 83 Downloads
We describe a case of papillary thyroid carcinoma with fibromatosis/fasciitis-like stroma (PTC-FLS) that contained the rare BRAF c.1799_1801delTGA (p.V600_K601delinsE) mutation, which has not previously been reported in this tumour, as well as the CTNNB1 c.133T>C (p.S45P) mutation. We also report the novel observation that spindle cells of the mesenchymal component exhibit diffuse nuclear but not cytoplasmic expression of SOX11, whereas the malignant epithelial cells did not. This suggests that immunoreactivity for SOX11 can be an alternative diagnostic tool for evaluating cases of PTC-FLS where the nuclear expression of β-catenin is ambiguous.
KeywordsPapillary thyroid carcinoma Fibromatosis/fasciitis-like stroma SOX11 β-Catenin BRAF Mutation
SBJW: tissue sampling, histological analysis, interpretation of data, literature review, drafting and review of manuscript. MEN: histological analysis, interpretation of data and review of manuscript. TV and MM: analysis of molecular features. JES: cytological analysis and review of manuscript. FP: histological analysis, interpretation of data, literature review, review of manuscript, study supervision, study design, decision to submit and publish the manuscript. All authors gave the final approval for publication.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This is a brief report on a novel and unique case of diagnostic interest; it is not a research project; there is no human or animal participant(s). It is our institution’s policy not to require consent for studies up to two subjects.
- 1.Barollo S, Pezzani R, Cristiani A, Redaelli M, Zambonin L, Rubin B, Bertazza L, Zane M, Mucignat-Caretta C, Bulfone A, Pennelli G, Casal Ide E, Pelizzo MR, Mantero F, Moro S, Mian C (2014) Prevalence, tumorigenic role, and biochemical implications of rare BRAF alterations. Thyroid 24:809–819. https://doi.org/10.1089/thy.2013.0403 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 3.Goh X, Lum J, Yang SP, Chionh SB, Koay E, Chiu L, Parameswaran R, Ngiam KY, Loh TKS, Nga ME, Lim CM (2019) BRAF mutation in papillary thyroid cancer-prevalence and clinical correlation in a South-East Asian cohort. Clin Otolaryngol 44:114–123. https://doi.org/10.1111/coa.13238 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 5.Lazar AJ, Tuvin D, Hajibashi S, Habeeb S, Bolshakov S, Mayordomo-Aranda E, Warneke CL, Lopez-Terrada D, Pollock RE, Lev D (2008) Specific mutations in the beta-catenin gene (CTNNB1) correlate with local recurrence in sporadic desmoid tumors. Am J Pathol 173:1518–1527. https://doi.org/10.2353/ajpath.2008.080475 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 6.Le Guellec S, Soubeyran I, Rochaix P, Filleron T, Neuville A, Hostein I, Coindre J-M (2012) CTNNB1 mutation analysis is a useful tool for the diagnosis of desmoid tumors: a study of 260 desmoid tumors and 191 potential morphologic mimics. Mod Pathol 25:1551–1558. https://doi.org/10.1038/modpathol.2012.115 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Misemer BS, Skubitz AP, Carlos Manivel J, Schmechel SC, Cheng EY, Henriksen JC, Koopmeiners JS, Corless CL, Skubitz KM (2014) Expression of FAP, ADAM12, WISP1, and SOX11 is heterogeneous in aggressive fibromatosis and spatially relates to the histologic features of tumor activity. Cancer Med 3:81–90. https://doi.org/10.1002/cam4.160 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Na KY, Kim HS, Sung JY, Park WS, Kim YW (2013) Papillary carcinoma of the thyroid gland with nodular fasciitis-like stroma. Kor J Pathol 47:167–171. https://doi.org/10.4132/KoreanJPathol.2013.47.2.167 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Ostrowski MA, Moffat FL, Asa SL, Rostein LE, Chamberlain D (1989) Myxomatous change in papillary carcinoma of the thyroid. Surg Pathol 2:249–256Google Scholar
- 10.Rebecchini C, Nobile A, Piana S, Sarro R, Bisig B, Gerasimos SP, Saglietti C, Matter M, Marino L, Bongiovanni M (2017) Papillary thyroid carcinoma with nodular fasciitis-like stroma and beta-catenin mutations should be renamed papillary thyroid carcinoma with desmoid-type fibromatosis. Mod Pathol 30:236–245. https://doi.org/10.1038/modpathol.2016.173 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Takada N, Hirokawa M, Ito M, Ito A, Suzuki A, Higuchi M, Kuma S, Hayashi T, Kishikawa M, Horikawa S, Miyauchi A (2017) Papillary thyroid carcinoma with desmoid-type fibromatosis: a clinical, pathological, and immunohistochemical study of 14 cases. Endocr J 64:1017–1023. https://doi.org/10.1507/endocrj.EJ17-0242 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Tarabichi M, Antoniou A, Le Pennec S, Gacquer D, de Saint AN, Craciun L, Cielen T, Laios I, Larsimont D, Andry G, Dumont JE, Maenhaut C, Detours V (2018) Distinctive desmoplastic 3D morphology associated with BRAFV600E in papillary thyroid cancers. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 103:1102–1111. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2017-02279 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Zhou L, Shi L, Jiang Z, Xie L (2018) Papillary thyroid carcinoma with nodular-fasciitis-like stroma and beta-catenin gene mutations: report of a recurrent case. Int J Clin Exp Pathol 11:2879–2883Google Scholar