A first case of primary gastric verrucous carcinoma with isolated squamous epithelium in the stomach
Primary gastric squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) is a rare histological subtype of gastric cancer. Here, we report the first case of primary gastric verrucous carcinoma (VC), a well-differentiated variant of SCC. Gastroscopy revealed a papillary polypoid lesion at the posterior wall of the upper gastric body and isolated squamous epithelium at the greater curvature of the fornix in a 78-year-old woman. Endoscopic submucosal dissection was performed. Microscopically, the lesion comprised very well-differentiated squamous epithelium with minimal atypia and exhibited coarse papillary structure and bulbous epithelial downgrowth with submucosal invasion. Conventional SCC or adenocarcinoma components were not included, and the lesion was surrounded by the metaplastic intestinal mucosa. Human papillomavirus infection was not detected. Although the pathogenesis of primary gastric SCC remains controversial, here, the disease is suggested as having originated from squamous epithelium. Knowledge of primary gastric VC and difficulty in diagnosing it using surface biopsy is necessary.
KeywordsGastric cancer Squamous cell carcinoma Verrucous carcinoma Squamous metaplasia
We would like to thank the pathologists who attended the 80th meeting of The Japanese Society of Pathology Kanto for making us part of a useful discussion.
RY drafted the manuscript. RS and KM provided clinical details. SH, NN, TM, and TH evaluated the histological findings. SH edited and reviewed the manuscript. All authors gave final approval for publication.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Informed consent was obtained from the patient included in the study.
- 3.Koch BB, Trask DK, Hoffman HT, Karnell LH, Robinson RA, Zhen W, Menck HR; Commission on Cancer, American College of Surgeons; American Cancer Society (2001) National survey of head and neck verrucous carcinoma: patterns of presentation, care, and outcome. Cancer 92:110–120Google Scholar
- 7.Ackermann LV (1948) Verrucous carcinoma of the oral cavity. Surgery 23:670–678Google Scholar
- 9.Shroyer KR, Greer RO, Fankhouser CA, McGuirt WF, Marshall R (1993) Detection of human papillomavirus DNA in oral verrucous carcinoma by polymerase chain reaction. Mod Pathol 6:669–672Google Scholar
- 11.Mori M, Iwashita A, Enjoji M (1986) Squamous cell carcinoma of the stomach: report of three cases. Am J Gastroenterol 81:339–342Google Scholar
- 15.Piper MH, Ross JM, Bever FN, Shartsis JM, Mohammadi D (1991) Primary squamous cell carcinoma of a gastric remnant. Am J Gastroenterol 86:1080–1082Google Scholar