Significant relationship between the LAT1 expression pattern and chemoresistance in ovarian clear cell carcinoma
- 18 Downloads
L-type amino acid transporter 1 (LAT1) is a Na+-independent neutral amino acid transporter that plays a key role in cancer cell growth and survival. To determine the significance of LAT1 in prognosis and resistance to chemotherapy in ovarian carcinoma, we investigated the LAT1 expression in 245 ovarian carcinoma patients by immunohistochemistry using tissue microarray. High expression of LAT1 was detected in 85 (34.7%) patients. The ratio of high expression of LAT1 was significantly high in clear cell carcinoma and low in serous carcinoma compared to other histological types (P < 0.0001). High expression of LAT1 in ovarian carcinoma was associated with poorer prognosis as per log-rank test (P = 0.008). Cox’s univariate and multivariate analysis revealed that high expression of LAT1 is an independent marker indicating poor prognosis (hazard ratio = 2.810, P < 0.0001) as well as the FIGO stage III/IV (vs. I/II) and suboptimal surgery. High LAT1 expression was also found to be associated with resistance to chemotherapy (P = 0.016) notably in clear cell carcinoma. In conclusion, we demonstrate that LAT1 is not only associated with poor prognosis of ovarian carcinoma, but also associated with chemoresistance in ovarian carcinoma.
KeywordsOvarian cancer LAT1 Transporter Immunohistochemistry Chemotherapy
The authors would appreciate Chinami Onuma for her excellent technical assistance, and Editage (www.editage.jp) for English language editing.
Kimiya Sato, Morikazu Miyamoto, Masashi Takano, Kenichi Furuya, and Hitoshi Tsuda conceived and designed the study, and wrote, edited, and reviewed the manuscript. Kimiya Sato and Hitoshi Tsuda researched and analyzed data. All authors gave final approval for publication. Kimiya Sato takes full responsibility for the work as a whole, including the study design, access to data, and the decision to submit and publish the manuscript.
Compliance with ethical standards
The research protocol was approved by the Institutional Ethical Review Board Committee of the National Defense Medical College, Tokorozawa, Japan. Informed consent was obtained from all the individuals included in this study.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 4.Yanagida O, Kanai Y, Chairoungdua A, Kim DK, Segawa H, Nii T, Cha SH, Matsuo H, Fukushima JI, Fukasawa Y, Tani Y, Taketani Y, Uchino H, Kim JY, Inatomi J, Okayasu I, Miyamoto KI, Takeda E, Goya T, Endou H (2001) Human L-type amino acid transporter 1 (LAT 1): characterization of function and expression in tumor cell lines. Biochim Biophys Acta 1514:291–302CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Kaira K, Oriuchi N, Imai H, Shimizu K, Yanagitani N, Sunaga N, Hisada T, Tanaka S, Ishizuka T, Kanai Y, Endou H, Nakajima T, Mori M (2008) Prognostic significance of L-type amino acid transporter 1 expression in resectable stage I-III nonsmall cell lung cancer. Br J Cancer 98:742–748CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Kaira K, Sunose Y, Arakawa K, Ogawa T, Sunaga N, Shimizu K, Tominaga H, Oriuchi N, Itoh H, Nagamori S, Kanai Y, Segawa A, Furuya M, Mori M, Oyama T, Takeyoshi I (2012) Prognostic significance of L-type amino-acid transporter 1 expression in surgically resected pancreatic cancer. Br J Cancer 107:632–638CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Kaira K, Sunose Y, Ohshima Y, Ishioka NS, Arakawa K, Ogawa T, Sunaga N, Shimizu K, Tominaga H, Oriuchi N, Itoh H, Nagamori S, Kanai Y, Yamaguchi A, Segawa A, Ide M, Mori M, Oyama T, Takeyoshi I (2013) Clinical significance of L-type amino acid transporter 1 expression as a prognostic marker and potential of new targeting therapy in biliary tract cancer. BMC Cancer 13:482CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Toyoda M, Kaira K, Ohshima Y, Ishioka NS, Shino M, Sakakura K, Takayasu Y, Takahashi K, Tominaga H, Oriuchi N, Nagamori S, Kanai Y, Oyama T, Chikamatsu K (2014) Prognostic significance of amino-acid transporter expression (LAT1, ASCT2, and xCT) in surgically resected tongue cancer. Br J Cancer 110:2506–2513CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Hayase S, Kumamoto K, Saito K, Kofunato Y, Sato Y, Okayama H, Miyamoto K, Ohki S, Takenoshita S (2017) L-type amino acid transporter 1 expression is upregulated and associated with cellular proliferation in colorectal cancer. Oncol Lett 14:7410–7416Google Scholar
- 18.Kaira K, Nakamura K, Hirakawa T, Imai H, Tominaga H, Oriuchi N, Nagamori S, Kanai Y, Tsukamoto N, Oyama T, Asao T, Minegishi T (2015) Prognostic significance of L-type amino acid transporter 1 (LAT1) expression in patients with ovarian tumors. Am J Transl Res 7:1161–1171Google Scholar
- 19.Betsunoh H, Fukuda T, Anzai N, Nishihara D, Mizuno T, Yuki H, Masuda A, Yamaguchi Y, Abe H, Yashi M, Fukabori Y, Yoshida KI, Kamai T (2013) Increased expression of system large amino acid transporter (LAT)-1 mRNA is associated with invasive potential and unfavorable prognosis of human clear cell renal cell carcinoma. BMC Cancer 13:509CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Imai H, Kaira K, Oriuchi N, Shimizu K, Tominaga H, Yanagitani N, Sunaga N, Ishizuka T, Nagamori S, Promchan K, Nakajima T, Yamamoto N, Mori M, Kanai Y (2010) Inhibition of L-type amino acid transporter 1 has antitumor activity in non-small cell lung cancer. Anticancer Res 30:4819–4828Google Scholar
- 23.Wang Q, Holst J (2015) L-type amino acid transport and cancer: targeting the mTORC1 pathway to inhibit neoplasia. Am J Cancer Res 5:1281–1294Google Scholar
- 24.Fan X, Ross DD, Arakawa H, Ganapathy V, Tamai I, Nakanishi T (2010) Impact of system L amino acid transporter 1 (LAT1) on proliferation of human ovarian cancer cells: a possible target for combination therapy with anti-proliferative aminopeptidase inhibitors. Biochem Pharmacol 80:811–818CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Eisenhauer EA, Therasse P, Bogaerts J, Schwartz LH, Sargent D, Ford R, Dancey J, Arbuck S, Gwyther S, Mooney M, Rubinstein L, Shankar L, Dodd L, Kaplan R, Lacombe D, Verweij J (2009) New response evaluation criteria in solid tumours: revised RECIST guideline (version 1.1). Eur J Cancer 45:228–247CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Kaira K, Takahashi T, Murakami H, Shukuya T, Kenmotsu H, Naito T, Oriuchi N, Kanai Y, Endo M, Kondo H, Nakajima T, Yamamoto N (2011) Relationship between LAT1 expression and response to platinum-based chemotherapy in non-small cell lung cancer patients with postoperative recurrence. Anticancer Res 31:3775–3782Google Scholar
- 30.Altan B, Kaira K, Watanabe A, Kubo N, Bao P, Dolgormaa G, Bilguun EO, Araki K, Kanai Y, Yokobori T, Oyama T, Nishiyama M, Kuwano H, Shirabe K (2018) Relationship between LAT1 expression and resistance to chemotherapy in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 81:141–153CrossRefGoogle Scholar