AgMYB2 transcription factor is involved in the regulation of anthocyanin biosynthesis in purple celery (Apium graveolens L.)
This study showed that an R2R3-MYB transcription factor, AgMYB2, functions in anthocyanin biosynthesis and accumulation in purple celery.
Anthocyanins are involved in tissue coloration and stress response in plants. Foods containing high anthocyanin content are also beneficial to human health. Purple celery accumulated amounts of anthocyanins in the petioles. The biosynthesis of anthocyanin in plants is mainly regulated by the R2R3-MYB transcription factor (TF). However, the R2R3-MYB TF that controls anthocyanin accumulation in purple celery remains unclear. In this study, an R2R3-MYB TF gene, AgMYB2, was cloned from purple celery and characterized as anthocyanin biosynthetic regulator. Sequence analysis indicated that AgMYB2 contained highly conserved R2R3 domain and two anthocyanin characteristic motifs, ANDV motif and KPRPR[S/T]F motif. The relative expression level of AgMYB2 in purple celery was significantly higher than that in non-purple celery at three developmental stages. Heterologous expression of AgMYB2 in Arabidopsis generated more anthocyanins and resulted in dark-purple leaves and flowers. The expression levels of anthocyanin biosynthetic genes and the antioxidant activity of transgenic Arabidopsis carrying AgMYB2 were up-regulated. The determination of anthocyanin glycosylation activity of Arabidopsis crude enzyme verified the anthocyanin biosynthesis regulatory function of AgMYB2 at the protein level. The interaction between AgMYB2 and bHLH proteins was shown by yeast two-hybrid assay. The results will help to elucidate the molecular mechanism of anthocyanin biosynthesis in purple celery and provide an approach for cultivating plants with high anthocyanin content.
KeywordsAnthocyanin Celery Expression level Overexpression R2R3-MYB Regulation
Open reading frame
The research was supported by the New Century Excellent Talents in University (NCET-11-0670); National Natural Science Foundation of China (31272175); Jiangsu Natural Science Foundation (BK20130027); Priority Academic Program Development of Jiangsu Higher Education Institutions (PAPD).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Cheng H, Song SS, Xiao LT, Soo HM, Cheng ZW, Xie DX, Peng JR (2009) Gibberellin acts through jasmonate to control the expression of MYB21, MYB24, and MYB57 to promote stamen filament growth in Arabidopsis. PLoS Genet 5(3):e1000440. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pgen.1000440 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Czemmel S, Stracke R, Weisshaar B, Cordon N, Harris NN, Walker AR, Robinson SP, Bogs J (2009) The grapevine R2R3-MYB transcription factor VvMYBF1 regulates flavonol synthesis in developing grape berries. Plant Physiol 151(3):1513–1530. https://doi.org/10.1104/pp.109.142059 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Feng K, Xu ZS, Liu JX, Li JW, Wang F, Xiong AS (2018b) Isolation, purification, and characterization of AgUCGalT1, a galactosyltransferase involved in anthocyanin galactosylation in purple celery (Apium graveolens L.). Planta 247(6):1363–1375. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00425-018-2870-5 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Jin W, Wang H, Li M, Wang J, Yang Y, Zhang X, Yan G, Zhang H, Liu J, Zhang K (2016) The R2R3 MYB transcription factor PavMYB10.1 involves in anthocyanin biosynthesis and determines fruit skin colour in sweet cherry (Prunus avium L.). Plant Biotechnol J 14(11):2120–2133. https://doi.org/10.1111/pbi.12568 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Larkin MA, Blackshields G, Brown NP, Chenna R, McGettigan PA, McWilliam H, Valentin F, Wallace IM, Wilm A, Lopez R, Thompson JD, Gibson TJ, Higgins DG (2007) Clustal W and Clustal X version 2.0. Bioinformatics 23(21):2947–2948. https://doi.org/10.1093/bioinformatics/btm404 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Lepiniec L, Debeaujon I, Routaboul JM, Baudry A, Pourcel L, Nesi N, Caboche M (2006) Genetics and biochemistry of seed flavonoids. Annu Rev Plant Biol 57:405–430. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.arplant.57.032905.105252 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Li YY, Mao K, Zhao C, Zhao XY, Zhang HL, Shu HR, Hao YJ (2012) MdCOP1 ubiquitin E3 ligases interact with MdMYB1 to regulate light-induced anthocyanin biosynthesis and red fruit coloration in apple. Plant Physiol 160(2):1011–1022. https://doi.org/10.1104/pp.112.199703 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Lin-Wang K, Bolitho K, Grafton K, Kortstee A, Karunairetnam S, McGhie TK, Espley RV, Hellens RP, Allan AC (2010) An R2R3 MYB transcription factor associated with regulation of the anthocyanin biosynthetic pathway in Rosaceae. BMC Plant Biol 10:50. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2229-10-50 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Morohashi K, Casas MI, Falcone Ferreyra ML, Falcone Ferreyra L, Mejia-Guerra MK, Pourcel L, Yilmaz A, Feller A, Carvalho B, Emiliani J, Rodriguez E, Pellegrinet S, McMullen M, Casati P, Grotewold E (2012) A genome-wide regulatory framework identifies maize pericarp color1 controlled genes. Plant Cell 24(7):2745–2764. https://doi.org/10.1105/tpc.112.098004 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Outchkourov NS, Karlova R, Holscher M, Schrama X, Blilou I, Jongedijk E, Simon CD, van Dijk ADJ, Bosch D, Hall RD, Beekwilder J (2018) Transcription factor-mediated control of anthocyanin biosynthesis in vegetative tissues. Plant Physiol 176(2):1862–1878. https://doi.org/10.1104/pp.17.01662 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Tamura K, Peterson D, Peterson N, Stecher G, Nei M, Kumar S (2011) MEGA5: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis using maximum likelihood, evolutionary distance, and maximum parsimony methods. Mol Biol Evol 28(10):2731–2739. https://doi.org/10.1093/molbev/msr121 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Tan GF, Wang F, Ma J, Zhang XY, Xiong AS (2017) Analysis of anthocyanin and apigenin contents and the expression profiles of biosynthesis-related genes in the purple and non-purple varieties of celery. Acta Hortic Sin 44(7):1327–1334. https://doi.org/10.16420/j.issn.0513-353x.2017-0221 Google Scholar
- Tohge T, Nishiyama Y, Hirai MY, Yano M, Nakajima J, Awazuhara M, Inoue E, Takahashi H, Goodenowe DB, Kitayama M, Noji M, Yamazaki M, Saito K (2005) Functional genomics by integrated analysis of metabolome and transcriptome of Arabidopsis plants over-expressing an MYB transcription factor. Plant J 42(2):218–235. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-313X.2005.02371.x CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Xu ZS, Huang Y, Wang F, Song X, Wang GL, Xiong AS (2014) Transcript profiling of structural genes involved in cyanidin-based anthocyanin biosynthesis between purple and non-purple carrot (Daucus carota L.) cultivars reveals distinct patterns. BMC Plant Biol 14:262. https://doi.org/10.1186/S12870-014-0262-Y CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar