LBD13 positively regulates lateral root formation in Arabidopsis
- 130 Downloads
Lateral Organ Boundaries Domain 13 (LBD13), which is expressed in emerged lateral roots and encodes a transcriptional activator, plays an important role in lateral root formation in Arabidopsis.
Lateral roots (LRs) are major determinants of root system architecture, contributing to the survival strategies of plants. Members of the LBD gene family encode plant-specific transcription factors that play key roles in plant organ development. Several LBD genes, such as LBD14, 16, 18, 29, and 33, have been shown to play important roles in regulating LR development in Arabidopsis. In the present study, we show that LBD13 is expressed in emerged LRs and LR meristems of elongated LRs and regulates LR formation in Arabidopsis. Transient gene expression assays with Arabidopsis protoplasts showed that LBD13 is localized to the nucleus and harbors transcription-activating potential. Knock-down of LBD13 expression by RNA interference resulted in reduced LR formation, whereas overexpression of LBD13 enhanced LR formation in transgenic Arabidopsis. Analysis of β-glucuronidase (GUS) expression under the control of the LBD13 promoter showed that GUS staining was detected in LRs emerged from the primary root, but not in LR primordia. Moreover, both the distribution of LR primordium number and developmental kinetics of LR primordia were not affected either by knock-down or by overexpression of LBD13. Taken together, these results suggest that LBD13 is a nuclear-localized transcriptional activator and controls LR formation during or after LR emergence.
KeywordsArabidopsis thaliana Lateral root Lateral organ boundaries domain Transcription factor LBD14 Protoplasts RNAi
Auxin response factor
Auxin/indole 3-acetic acid protein
Lateral organ boundaries domain
Lateral root primordium
This work was supported by Grants to J. Kim from the Next-Generation BioGreen 21 Program (PJ013220), Rural Development Administration, Republic of Korea, and the Mid-Career Researcher Program (2016R1A2B4015201) and the Basic Research Laboratory (2017R1A4A1015620) through the National Research Foundation of Korea, funded by the Ministry of Education, Science, and Technology of Korea.
- Bellini C, Pacurar DI, Perrone I (2014) Adventitious roots and lateral roots: similarities and differences. Annu Rev Plant Biol 65:639–666. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-arplant-050213-035645 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Berckmans B, Vassileva V, Schmid SP, Maes S, Parizot B, Naramoto S, Magyar Z, Alvim Kamei CL, Koncz C, Bogre L, Persiau G, De Jaeger G, Friml J, Simon R, Beeckman T, De Veylder L (2011) Auxin-dependent cell cycle reactivation through transcriptional regulation of Arabidopsis E2Fa by lateral organ boundary proteins. Plant Cell 23(10):3671–3683. https://doi.org/10.1105/tpc.111.088377 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- De Rybel B, Vassileva V, Parizot B, Demeulenaere M, Grunewald W, Audenaert D, Van Campenhout J, Overvoorde P, Jansen L, Vanneste S, Moller B, Wilson M, Holman T, Van Isterdael G, Brunoud G, Vuylsteke M, Vernoux T, De Veylder L, Inze D, Weijers D, Bennett MJ, Beeckman T (2010) A novel aux/IAA28 signaling cascade activates GATA23-dependent specification of lateral root founder cell identity. Curr Biol 20(19):1697–1706. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cub.2010.09.007 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- De Smet I, Lau S, Voss U, Vanneste S, Benjamins R, Rademacher EH, Schlereth A, De Rybel B, Vassileva V, Grunewald W, Naudts M, Levesque MP, Ehrismann JS, Inze D, Luschnig C, Benfey PN, Weijers D, Van Montagu MC, Bennett MJ, Jurgens G, Beeckman T (2010) Bimodular auxin response controls organogenesis in Arabidopsis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 107(6):2705–2710. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0915001107 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jeon J, Kim NY, Kim S, Kang NY, Novak O, Ku SJ, Cho C, Lee DJ, Lee EJ, Strnad M, Kim J (2010) A subset of cytokinin two-component signalling system plays a role in cold temperature stress response in Arabidopsis. J Biol Chem 285(30):23371–23386. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M109.096644 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lee DJ, Park JW, Lee HW, Kim J (2009a) Genome-wide analysis of the auxin-responsive transcriptome downstream of iaa1 and its expression analysis reveal the diversity and complexity of auxin-regulated gene expression. J Exp Bot 60(13):3935–3957. https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/erp230 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Malamy JE, Benfey PN (1997) Organization and cell differentiation in lateral roots of Arabidopsis thaliana. Development 124(1):33–44Google Scholar
- Péret B, Li G, Zhao J, Band LR, Voss U, Postaire O, Luu DT, Da Ines O, Casimiro I, Lucas M, Wells DM, Lazzerini L, Nacry P, King JR, Jensen OE, Schaffner AR, Maurel C, Bennett MJ (2012) Auxin regulates aquaporin function to facilitate lateral root emergence. Nat Cell Biol 14(10):991–998. https://doi.org/10.1038/ncb2573 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Porco S, Larrieu A, Du Y, Gaudinier A, Goh T, Swarup K, Swarup R, Kuempers B, Bishopp A, Lavenus J, Casimiro I, Hill K, Benkova E, Fukaki H, Brady SM, Scheres B, Péret B, Bennett MJ (2016) Lateral root emergence in Arabidopsis is dependent on transcription factor LBD29 regulation of auxin influx carrier LAX3. Development 143(18):3340–3349. https://doi.org/10.1242/dev.136283 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Vanneste S, De Rybel B, Beemster GT, Ljung K, De Smet I, Van Isterdael G, Naudts M, Iida R, Gruissem W, Tasaka M, Inze D, Fukaki H, Beeckman T (2005) Cell cycle progression in the pericycle is not sufficient for SOLITARY ROOT/IAA14-mediated lateral root initiation in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell 17(11):3035–3050. https://doi.org/10.1105/tpc.105.035493 CrossRefGoogle Scholar