High-frequency vibrations of circular and annular plates with the Mindlin plate theory
- 40 Downloads
Circular and annular elastic plates have wide applications as essential elements in various engineering structures and products demanding accurate analysis of their vibrations. At higher frequencies, the analysis of vibrations needs appropriate equations, as shown by the Mindlin plate equations for rectangular plates with tailored applications for the analysis of quartz crystal resonators. Naturally, there are equally strong demands for the equations and applications in circular and annular plates with the consideration of higher-order vibration modes. By following the procedure established by Mindlin based on displacement expansion in the thickness coordinate, a set of higher-order equations of vibrations of circular and annular plates are derived and truncated for comparisons with classical and first-order plate equations of circular plates. By utilizing these equations, coupled thickness-shear and flexural vibrations of circular and annular plates are analyzed for vibration frequencies and mode shapes.
KeywordsPlate Mindlin Vibration Circular Frequency
This research is supported in part by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Nos. 11372145 and 11672142). Additional funding is from the National Key R&D Program of China (Grant No. 2017YFB1102900). It was also supported by the Research Project Foundation of Zhejiang Educational Department (Grant No. Y201636501). The authors also received financial support from the K. C. Wong Magna Fund established and administered by Ningbo University.
- 1.Reddy, J.N.: Theory and Analysis of Elastic Plates and Shells. CRC Press, Boca Raton (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Reddy, J.N.: Mechanics of Laminated Composite Plates and Shells. CRC Press, Boca Raton (2003)Google Scholar
- 30.Mindlin, R.D., (edited by Yang, J.S.): An Introduction to the Mathematical Theory of Vibrations of Elastic Plates. World Scientific, New Jersey (2007)Google Scholar
- 32.Wang, W.J., Wang, J., Chen, G.J., Ma, T.F., Du, J.K.: Mindlin plate equations for the thickness-shear vibrations of circular elastic plates. In: Proceedings of 2012 Symposium on Piezoelectricity, Acoustic Waves, and Device Applications, pp. 357–360 (2012)Google Scholar
- 33.Chen, H., Wang, J., Ma, T.F., Du, J.K.: An analysis of free vibrations of isotropic, circular plates with the Mindlin plate theory. In: Proceedings of 2014 Symposium on Piezoelectricity, Acoustic Waves, and Device Applications, pp. 397–400 (2014)Google Scholar
- 34.Wang, J., Chen, H., Ma, T.F., Du, J.K., Yi, L.J., Yong, Y.K.: Analysis of thickness-shear vibrations of an annular plate with the Mindlin plate equations. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Frequency Control Symposium on European Frequency and Time Forum (2015)Google Scholar