Evaluation of virtual surgical planning systems and customized devices in fibula free flap mandibular reconstruction
The purpose of this study was to evaluate the accuracy of virtual planning using customized surgical devices (VP3D) in fibula free flap mandibular reconstruction.
Fourteen patients received VP3D and 16 patients underwent conventional surgery (CS). Virtual planning was compared to postoperative scans using cephalometric and three-dimensional (3D) measurements. Operative times of both VP3D and CS groups were compared.
Comparisons of cephalometric measurements revealed no significant difference between virtual planning and postoperative scans. 3D analysis demonstrated a high level of virtual planning accuracy. In the VP3D group, total operative time gain was 88 min (p < 0.001) and total ischemia time gain was 36 min (p = 0.04).
Virtual surgical planning using customized devices enables ‘tailored’ surgery that is accurate and reliable and results in operative and ischemia time gain.
KeywordsMandibular defect Fibula flap Reconstruction Virtual planning Pre-bent plate
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The author(s) declare that they have no conflict of interests.
- 9.Pellini R, Mercante G, Spriano G (2012) Step-by-step mandibular reconstruction with free fibula flap modelling. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 32(6):405–409Google Scholar
- 13.Rodby KA, Turin S, Jacobs RJ et al (2014) Advances in oncologic head and neck reconstruction: systematic review and future considerations of virtual surgical planning and computer aided design/computer aided modeling. J Plast Reconstr Aesthetic Surg JPRAS 67(9):1171–1185. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bjps.2014.04.038 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Jewer DD, Boyd JB, Manktelow RT et al (1989) Orofacial and mandibular reconstruction with the iliac crest free flap: a review of 60 cases and a new method of classification. Plast Reconstr Surg 84(3):391–403 (discussion 404–405)Google Scholar
- 20.Weitz J, Bauer FJM, Hapfelmeier A, Rohleder NH, Wolff K-D, Kesting MR (2016) Accuracy of mandibular reconstruction by three-dimensional guided vascularised fibular free flap after segmental mandibulectomy. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 54(5):506–510. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bjoms.2016.01.029 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Silva M, Zambrini EI, Chiari G et al (2016) Pre-surgical assessment of mandibular bone invasion from oral cancer: comparison between different imaging techniques and relevance of radiologist expertise. Radiol Med (Torino) 121(9):704–710. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11547-016-0654-1 CrossRefGoogle Scholar