Is there a role for HIPEC in ovarian cancer?
- 257 Downloads
Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) is promoted by some as a standard treatment for peritoneal carcinomatosis of epithelial ovarian cancer (EOC) and other tumor entities, despite lack of robust data supporting this. Publicly available evidence addressing the value of HIPEC in EOC is rather inconclusive, revealing contradictory and inconsistent results while some studies even report harm to the patients from a higher morbidity. On this ground, we cannot recommend the implementation and use of HIPEC outside of a randomized clinical trial setting.
KeywordsHIPEC Ovarian cancer Cytoreductive surgery Randomized trials
Protocol/project development: Harter, Fotopoulou. Data collection or management: all authors. Data analysis: all authors. Manuscript writing/editing: all authors.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- 1.Verwaal VJ, van Ruth S, de Bree E et al (2003) Randomized trial of cytoreduction and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy versus systemic chemotherapy and palliative surgery in patients with peritoneal carcinomatosis of colorectal cancer. J Clin Oncol 21(20):3737–3743CrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 3.Harter P, du Bois A, Mahner S et al (2016) Statement of the AGO Kommission Ovar, AGO Study Group, NOGGO, AGO Austria and AGO Switzerland Regarding the Use of Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC) in Ovarian Cancer. Geburtshilfe Frauenheilkd 76(2):147–149CrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 4.Quenet F, Elias D, Roca L. A Unicancer phase III trial of hyperthermic intra-peritoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) for colorectal peritoneal carcinomatosis (PC): PRODIGE 7. J Clin Oncol. 36;2018 (suppl; abstr LBA3503)Google Scholar
- 6.Harter P, Reuss A, Sehouli J, Chiva L, du Bois A. Brief report about the role of hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy in a prospective randomized phase 3 study in recurrent ovarian cancer from Spiliotis et alGoogle Scholar
- 7.Van Driel W, Sikorska K, Schagen van Leeuwen J, et al. A phase 3 trial of hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) for ovarian cancer. J Clin Oncol. 35;2017 (suppl; abstr 5519)Google Scholar
- 8.Lim MC, Chang S-J, Yoo HJ, et al. Randomized trial of hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) in women with primary advanced peritoneal, ovarian, and tubal cancer. J Clin Oncol. 35;2017 (suppl; abstr 5520)Google Scholar