Controlled synthesis and self-assembly of amphiphilic copolymers based on 2,2,3,3,4,4,5,5-octafluoropentyl acrylate and acrylic acid
- 8 Downloads
The reversible addition–fragmentation chain transfer (RAFT) polymerization of 2,2,3,3,4,4,5,5-octafluoropentyl acrylate (OFPA) in the presence of different concentrations of S,S-dibenzyl carbonotrithioate as chain transfer agent (CTA) was investigated. The estimate of Ctr was defined using the size-exclusion chromatography measurements. Copolymers of acrylic acid and OFPA with different microstructure were synthesized by three methods: block copolymerization, copolymerization of acrylic acid and OFPA, and chemical modification of copolymer of tert-butyl acrylate and OFPA. Copolymerization of abovementioned monomer pairs was studied. The reactivity ratios were calculated by using the Fineman–Ross and Kelen–Tudos models, as well as the method of least squares. Aggregation behavior of the obtained amphiphilic copolymers at the air/water interface was defined by the Langmuir monolayer technique. Monomolecular films of amphiphilic copolymers were studied using atomic force microscopy. The effect of the chain microstructure, the acrylic acid content in the copolymer, and subphase pH on the isotherm curves were shown.
KeywordsRAFT polymerization Fluorinated poly(meth)acrylate Amphiphiles Copolymers Self-assembly
We are grateful to Maksim A. Baten’kin (G. A. Razuvaev Institute of Organometallic Chemistry, Russian Academy of Sciences) for help in performing studies by the AFM method.
This work was supported by the Russian Foundation for Basic Research (Project No. 19-03-00843 and No. 17-03-00131a).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no competing interests.
- 7.Ahmed M, Narain R (2013) Progress of RAFT based polymers in gene delivery. Prog Polym Sci 38:767–790. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.progpolymsci.2012.09.008 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Fukuda K, Shibasaki Y, Nakahara H (1988) Polymerizabilities of amphiphilic monomers with controlled arrangements in Langmuir-Blodgett films. Thin Solid Films 160:43–52. https://doi.org/10.1016/0040-6090(88)90045-4
- 16.Serkhacheva NS, Smirnov OL, Tolkachev AV, Prokopov NI, Plutalova AV, Chernikova EV, Kozhunova EY, Khokhlovde AR (2017) Synthesis of amphiphilic copolymers based on acrylic acid, fluoroalkyl acrylates and n-butyl acrylate in organic, aqueous–organic, and aqueous media via RAFT polymerization. RSC Adv 7:24522–24536. https://doi.org/10.1039/C7RA03203J CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Serkhacheva NS, Plutalova AV, Kozhunova EY, Prokopov NI, Chernikova EV (2018) Amphiphilic triblock copolymers based on acrylic acid and alkyl acrylates synthesized via RAFT polymerization-induced self-assembly and RAFT miniemulsion polymerization. Polymer Science, Series B 60:204–217. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1560090418020070 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Ma Z, Lacroix-Desmazes P (2004) Synthesis of hydrophilic/CO2-philic poly(ethylene oxide)-b-poly(1,1,2,2-tetrahydroperfluorodecyl acrylate) block copolymers via controlled/living radical polymerizations and their properties in liquid and supercritical CO2. J Polym Sci A Polym Chem 42:2405–2415. https://doi.org/10.1002/pola.20117 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Guyot B, Ameduri B, Boutevin B, Melas M, Viguie M, Colle A (1998) Kinetics of homopolymerization of fluorinated acrylates, influence of the spacer between the fluorinated chain and the ester group. Macromol Chem Phys 199:1879–1885. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1521-3935(19980901)199:9<1879::AID-MACP1879>3.0.CO;2-D CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Liu B, Yuan CG, Hu CP (2001) Synthesis and characterization of a well-defined graft copolymer containing fluorine grafts by “living”/controlled radical polymerization. Macromol Chem Phys 202:2504–2508. https://doi.org/10.1002/1521-3935(20010801)202:12<2504::AID-MACP2504>3.0.CO;2-M CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.Guennouni Z, Cousin F, Fauré MC, Perrin P, Limagne D, Konovalov O, Goldmann M (2016) Self-organization of polystyrene-b-polyacrylic acid (PS-b-PAA) monolayer at the air/water interface: a process driven by the release of the solvent spreading. Langmuir 32:1971–1980. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.langmuir.5b02652 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Guennouni Z, Goldmann M, Fauré MC, Fontaine P, Perrin P, Limagne D, Cousin F (2017) Coupled effects of spreading solvent molecules and electrostatic repulsions on the behavior of PS-b-PAA monolayers at the air-water interface. Langmuir 33:12525–12534. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.langmuir.7b02664 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 30.Joncheray TJ, Bernard SA, Matmour R, Lepoittevin B, El-Khouri RJ, Taton D, Gnanou Y, Duran RS (2007) Polystyrene-b-poly(tert-butyl acrylate) and polystyrene-b-poly(acrylic acid) dendrimer-like copolymers: two-dimensional self-assembly at the air-water Interface. Langmuir 23:2531–2538. https://doi.org/10.1021/la062924r CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.Xie D, Rezende CA, Liu G, Pispas S, Zhang G, Lee LT (2009) Effect of hydrogen-bonding complexation on the interfacial behavior of poly(isoprene)-b-poly(ethylene oxide) and poly(isoprene)-b-poly(acrylic acid) Langmuir monolayers. J Phys Chem B 113:739–744. https://doi.org/10.1021/jp808821s CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 32.Turshatov AA, Semchikov YD, Zaitsev SD, Smirnova LA (1998) Langmuir monolayers of styrene copolymers with acrylic and methacrylic acids. Vysokomolekularnye Soedineniya SerB 40:1238–1241Google Scholar
- 33.Turshatov AA, Pastukhov MO, Semchikov YD (1999) Langmuir monolayers of statistical copolymers with hydrophilic and hydrophobic units. Vysokomolekularnye Soedineniya SerA 41:841–845Google Scholar
- 34.Vishnevetskii DV, Plutalova AV, Yulusov VV, Zotova OS, Chernikova EV, Zaitsev SD (2015) Controlled radical copolymerization of styrene with acrylic acid and tert-butyl acrylate under conditions of reversible addition-fragmentation chain transfer: control of the chain microstructure. Polymer Science Series B 57:197–206. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1560090415030094 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 37.Barner-Kowollik C (2008) Handbook of RAFT Polymerization. In: Barner-Kowollik C (ed) WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, WeinheimGoogle Scholar
- 39.Chernikova EV, Terpugova PS, Baskakov AA, Plutalova AV, Garina ES, Sivtsov EV (2010) Pseudoliving radical polymerization of methyl methacrylate in the presence of S,S′-bis(methyl-2-isobutyrate) trithiocarbonate. Polymer Science, Ser B 52:119–128. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1560090410030012 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 41.Kelen T, Tudos F, Turcsanyi B (1980) Confidence intervals for copolymerization reactivity ratios determined by the Kelen-Tudos method. Polym Bull 2:71–76. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00275556
- 42.Bichuch NA, Malyshev AS, Kronman AG, Pastukhov MO, Semchikov YD, Zaitsev SD (2003) Determination of relative reactivities of monomers from their instantaneous concentrations in the feed. Polymer Science, Ser. B 45:851–855Google Scholar
- 43.Borisova O, Billon L, Zaremski M, Grassl B, Bakaeva Z, Lapp A, Stepanek P, Borisov O (2012) Synthesis and pH- and salinity-controlled self-assembly of novel amphiphilic block-gradient copolymers of styrene and acrylic acid. Soft Matter 8(29):7649–7659. https://doi.org/10.1039/C2SM25625H CrossRefGoogle Scholar