Polyelectrolyte-colloid complex formation via polymerization: reaction kinetics in direct micelles, inverted micelles, and homogeneous solution studied by NMR and conductometry
- 39 Downloads
Formation of polyelectrolyte-surfactant complexes (PESCs) in polymerization process of corresponding amphiphilic monomer is a promising way of pure stoichiometric PESC obtained in salt-free systems. Polymerization of micelle-forming monomer dodecylammonium 2-acrylamido-2-methylpropanesulfonate (DDA-AMPS) in different media was studied by means of 1H-NMR and conductance measurements. Kinetics of polymerization in direct micelles, inverted micelles, and homogeneous solution was considered in terms of classical solution polymerization and microemulsion polymerization. Reaction orders on monomer and initiator were measured in water and dioxane. The rate of polymerization is strongly dependent on monomer micelle existence, being considerably higher in micellar solution than in homogeneous one.
KeywordsMicellar polymerization Microemulsion polymerization Kinetics Surfmer Polyelectrolyte-surfactant complex
The work was performed on the equipment of the Research park of St. Petersburg State University: Center of Magnetic resonance and the Chemistry educational center.
The work was supported by RFBR (grant #18-33-00618-mol_a) in the part of PESC synthesis and SEC studies performed by P.A. Fetin.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 15.Bilibin AY, Sukhanova TM, Matuschkin NI, Mel’nikov AB, Zorin IM (2012) Polymerization of dodecylammonium 2-acrylamido-2-methylpropane sulfonate in solvents with different dielectric constants and study of the resulting ionic complexes. Macromol Symp 317–318:160–168. https://doi.org/10.1002/masy.201100112 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Bilibin AY, Shcherbinina TM, Kondratenko YA, Zorina NA, Zorin IM (2015) Micellar polymerization of alkylammonium 2-acrylamido-2-methylpropane sulfonates in the solvents of different polarities and properties of resulting polyelectrolyte-surfactant complexes. Colloid Polym Sci 293:1215–1225. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00396-015-3497-8 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Tajima K, Aida T (2000) Controlled polymerizations with constrained geometries. Chem Commun:2399–2412. https://doi.org/10.1039/b007618j
- 28.Shulevich YV, Petzold G, Navrotskii AV, Novakov IA (2012) Properties of polyelectrolyte–surfactant complexes obtained by polymerization of an ionic monomer in a solution of an oppositely charged surfactant. Colloids Surfaces A Physicochem Eng Asp 415:148–152. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfa.2012.10.013 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Shulevich Y, Dukhanina E, Navrotskii A, Novakov I (2018) Polymerization of trimethylmethacryloyloxyethylammonium methyl sulfate in surfactant micellar solution of sodium alkyl sulfates and properties of the resultant polyelectrolytes. Colloid Polym Sci 296:871–881. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00396-018-4302-2 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 33.Bilibin AY, Shcherbinina TM, Girbasova NV, Lebedev VT, Kulvelis YV, Molchanov VS, Zorin IM (2016) Colloidal properties of polymerizable counterion surfmers solutions based on alkylamino 2-acrylamido-2-methylpropanesulfonates in different solvents. Des Monomers Polym 19:369–380. https://doi.org/10.1080/15685551.2016.1169371 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 34.Tsvetkov NV, Fetin PA, Lezov AA, Gubarev AS, Achmadeeva LI, Lezova AA, Zorin IM, Bilibin AY (2015) Colloid solution of surfactant monomers and polyelectrolyte: polymerization and properties of the resulting interpolyelectrolyte complexes. J Mol Liq 211:239–246. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molliq.2015.07.003 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 35.Andreeva LN, Shcherbinina TM, Zorin IM, Bezrukova MA, Bushin SV, Bilibin AY (2013) Molecular, conformational, and optical characteristics of poly(dodecylammonium-2-acrylamido-2-methylpropanesulfonate) in organic solvents. Polym Sci Ser A 55:289–294. https://doi.org/10.1134/S0965545X13050015 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 37.Tsvetkov NV, Andreeva LN, Zorin IM, Bushin SV, Lebedeva EV, Strelina IA, Bezrukova MA, Lezov AA, Makarov IA, Bilibin AYu (2011) Synthesis, hydrodynamic, and conformational properties of poly(N-acryloyl-11-aminoundecanoic acid) in solutions. Polym Sci Ser A 53:355–363. https://doi.org/10.1134/S0965545X11050087