Modification of Nafion membrane by polyaniline providing uniform polymer distribution throughout the membrane
- 31 Downloads
Oxidative polymerization of aniline in the presence of Nafion membranes has been carried out in a water–isopropanol mixture after preliminary impregnation of the membrane with the monomer (aniline) in aqueous isopropanol. Uniform distribution of polyaniline (PANI) throughout whole membrane volume has been found. On the contrary, aniline polymerization in water, even after preliminary impregnation of the membrane with the monomer, has resulted in the formation of PANI thin layer only on the membrane surfaces but not inside the membrane. The polymerization in water–isopropanol mixture has not led to the change in the membrane surface properties but has induced the structural reorganization of Nafion membrane accompanied by the increase in the membrane ionic cluster size and the distance between the fluorocarbon crystallites. Modification by PANI carried out either in water or in aqueous isopropanol solution has resulted in the decrease in the membrane proton conductivity by 5–10 times.
KeywordsMembranes Nafion Modification Polyaniline Isopropanol
The authors are grateful to Vladimir G. Sergeyev for fruitful discussions and Sergey S. Abramchuk for microscopy (TEM) studies.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 2.Smitha B, Sridhar S, Khan AA (2005) Solid polymer electrolyte membranes for fuel cell applications. J Membr Sci 259:10–26. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2005.01.035
- 12.Kameche M, Xu F, Innocent C, Pourcelly G, Derriche Z (2007) Characterization of Nafion® 117 membrane modified chemically with a conducting polymer: an application to the demineralization of sodium iodide organic solutions. Sep Pur Tech 52:497–503. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seppur.2006.06.001 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Berezina NP, Kononenko NA, Filippov AN, Shkirskaya SA, Falina IV, Sycheva AA-R (2010) Electrotransport properties and morphology of MF-4SK membranes after surface modification with polyaniline. Russ J Electrochem (Engl Transl) 46(5):485–493. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1023193510050010 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 35.Kondratenko MS, Karpushkin EA, Gvozdik NA, Gallyamov MO, Stevenson KJ, Sergeyev VG (2017) Influence of aminosilane precursor concentration on physicochemical properties of composite Nafion membranes for vanadium redox flow battery applications. J Power Sources 340:32–39. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2016.11.045 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 37.Socrates G (2001) Infrared and Raman characteristic group frequencies. Third Ed, John Wiley & Sons, LTD.Google Scholar