Synthesis and characterization of ethyl cellulose micro/nanocapsules using solvent evaporation method
- 32 Downloads
In this study, oil-filled micro/nanocapsules were synthesized by the emulsion-solvent evaporation method using ethyl cellulose as a shell-forming material containing linseed oil. Shape and morphology of the prepared micro/nanocapsules were evaluated using scanning electron microscopy. The particle size distribution of nanocapsules was investigated using nanoparticle size analyzer. The micro/nanocapsules core and shell material were characterized by Fourier transform infrared spectra. Oil-filled micro/nanocapsules with a regular spherical shape were successfully synthesized in various diameters ranging from 33 nm to 400 μm. The size distribution of capsules was successfully controlled by controlling emulsion agitation rate in their synthesis process.
KeywordsEthyl cellulose Microcapsule Nanocapsules Solvent evaporation Encapsulation
This research received no specific grant from any funding agency in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 12.Hayden D, Kibbelaar H, Imhof A et al (2018) Size and optically tunable ethyl cellulose nanoparticles as carriers for organic UV filters. Chem Nano Mat 44:301–308Google Scholar
- 13.Murtaza G (2012) Ethyl cellulose microparticles: a review. Acta Pol Pharm Drug Res 69:11–22Google Scholar
- 15.Sappidi S, Thadkala K, Kota J, Aukunuru J (2014) Preparation and characterization of ethyl cellulose microspheres encapsulating metformin hydrochloride and glipizide. Pharm Lett 6:213–226Google Scholar
- 16.Sudhamani T, Noveenkumar K (2010) Preparation and evaluation of ethyl cellulose microspheres of ibuprofen for sustained drug delivery. International Journal of Pharma Research and Development 2:119–125Google Scholar
- 17.Garekani H, Sanadgol N, Nayyeri N et al (2018) Peculiar effect of polyethylene glycol in comparison with triethyl citrate or diethyl phthalate on properties of ethyl cellulose microcapsules containing propranolol hydrochloride in process of emulsion-solvent evaporation. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 44(3):421–431CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Voncina B, Kreft O, Kokol V, Chen WT (2009) Encapsulation of rosemary oil in ethyl cellulose microcapsules. Textile and Polymer Journal 1Google Scholar
- 22.Badulescu R, Vivod V, Jausovec D, Voncina B (2010) Treatment of cotton fabrics with ethyl cellulose microcapsules. Woodhead publishing, pp 226–235Google Scholar
- 26.Balancua B, Stan R, Hanganu A, Iovu H (2014) Novel linseed oil-based monomers: synthesis and characterization. UPB Scientific Bulletin 76Google Scholar
- 27.Mahmoudian M, Nozad E, Ghasemi M et al (2018) Preparation and investigation of hybrid self-healing coatings containing linseed oil loaded nanocapsules, potassium ethyl xanthate and benzotriazole on copper surface. Surf Eng 120:167–178Google Scholar