Effect of ion partitioning on electrophoresis of soft particles
The effect of ion partitioning, a phenomenon significantly affecting the arrangement of ions in an aqueous system due to spatial permittivity variations, on electrophoresis of spherical soft particles is analytically studied. Along with this line, the electric potential is considered small enough to allow applying the Debye-Hückel approximation, and the relaxation effect is neglected. The core is considered to have an arbitrary charge, and the charge of the polyelectrolyte layer is assumed to be homogeneous and independent of the electrolyte properties. The main result of this paper is an analytical expression for electrophoretic mobility, which is validated by comparing the results with the predictions of available analytical solutions valid for limiting conditions. The results indicate that the ion partitioning can significantly increase the electrophoretic mobility of soft particles. The influence of the ion partitioning increases with increasing the polyelectrolyte layer (PEL) friction factor and the electric charge of the core, whereas the opposite is true for the PEL charge.
KeywordsElectrophoresis Spherical soft particles Ion partitioning Analytical modeling
The research council of Iran University of Science and Technology (IUST) is highly acknowledged for its financial support during the course of this project.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Hückel E (1924) Die kataphorese der kugel. Phys Z 25:204–210Google Scholar
- 2.Debye PWJ, Hückel E (1924) Bemerkungen zu einem Satze über die kataphoretische Wanderungsgeschwindigkeit suspendierter Teilchen. Hirzel 25:49Google Scholar
- 31.Gopmandal PP, Bhattacharyya S, Banerjee M, Ohshima H (2016) Electrophoresis of diffuse soft particles with dielectric charged rigid core grafted with charge regulated inhomogeneous polymer segments. Colloids Surfaces A Physicochem Eng Asp 504:116–125. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfa.2016.05.021 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 35.Majee PS, Bhattacharyya S, Dutta P (2018) On electrophoresis of a pH-regulated nanogel with ion partitioning effects. Electrophoresis. https://doi.org/10.1002/elps.201800291
- 36.Ganjizade A, Sadeghi A, Ashrafizadeh SN (2018) Effect of ion partitioning on electrostatics of soft particles with volumetrically charged inner core coated with pH-regulated polyelectrolyte layer. Colloids Surf B: Biointerfaces 170:129–135. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfb.2018.05.053 CrossRefGoogle Scholar