A flavonoid-rich extract from bergamot juice prevents carcinogenesis in a genetic model of colorectal cancer, the Pirc rat (F344/NTac-Apcam1137)
- 52 Downloads
To determine the potential of a flavonoid-rich extract from bergamot juice (BJe) to prevent colorectal carcinogenesis (CRC) in vivo.
Pirc rats (F344/NTac-Apcam1137), mutated in Apc, the key gene in CRC, were treated with two different doses of BJe (35 mg/kg or 70 mg/kg body weight, respectively) mixed in the diet for 12 weeks. Then, the entire intestine was surgically removed and dissected for histological, immunohistochemical and molecular analyses.
Rats treated with BJe showed a significant dose-related reduction in the colon preneoplastic lesions mucin-depleted foci (MDF). Colon and small intestinal tumours were also significantly reduced in rats supplemented with 70 mg/kg of BJe. To elucidate the involved mechanisms, markers of inflammation and apoptosis were determined. Compared to controls, colon tumours from BJe 70 mg/kg-supplemented rats showed a significant down-regulation of inflammation-related genes (COX-2, iNOS, IL-1β, IL-6 and IL-10 and Arginase 1). Moreover, in colon tumours from rats fed with 70 mg/kg BJe, apoptosis was significantly higher than in controls. Up-regulation of p53 and down-regulation of survivin and p21 genes was also observed.
These data indicate a strong chemopreventive activity of BJe that, at least in part, is due to its pro-apoptotic and anti-inflammatory actions. This effect could be exploited as a strategy to prevent CRC in high-risk patients.
KeywordsBergamot juice Citrus bergamia Cancer Colon carcinogenesis Inflammation
Flavonoid-rich extract from bergamot juice
Severe combined immunodeficiency
Proliferating cell nuclear antigen
Familial adenomatous polyposis
Research was supported by Grants from Calabria Region (PSR Calabria 2007/2013 misura 124, project “ABSIB”) and University of Florence (Fondo ex-60). A fellowship from the “Prof. Antonio Imbesi” Foundation, Messina, Italy to S. Cirmi is gratefully acknowledged.
APF carried out the carcinogenesis and the histochemistry experiments, KT maintained the Pirc colony and, together with AR and CL, carried out part of the carcinogenesis experiment. GC determined apoptosis and proliferation in immunohistochemistry. SC and NF performed real-time PCR analyses. GC and MN conceived, designed and supervised the work, as well as drafted the manuscript, that was read and approved by all the authors.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declared that are no conflicts of interest. Agrumaria Corleone provided BJe, but it had no other role in the study.
The animal studies have been approved by the Commission for Animal Experimentation of the Italian Ministry of Health (Authorization number 323/2016-PR) and have therefore been performed in accordance with the ethical standards laid down in the 1964 Declaration of Helsinki and its later amendments.
- 3.Navarra M, Ferlazzo N, Cirmi S, Trapasso E, Bramanti P, Lombardo GE, Minciullo PL, Calapai G, Gangemi S (2015) Effects of bergamot essential oil and its extractive fractions on SH-SY5Y human neuroblastoma cell growth. J Pharm Pharmacol 67(8):1042–1053. https://doi.org/10.1111/jphp.12403 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Amos-Landgraf JM, Kwong LN, Kendziorski CM, Reichelderfer M, Torrealba J, Weichert J, Haag JD, Chen KS, Waller JL, Gould MN, Dove WF (2007) A target-selected Apc-mutant rat kindred enhances the modeling of familial human colon cancer. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 104(10):4036–4041. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0611690104 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Ferlazzo N, Visalli G, Smeriglio A, Cirmi S, Lombardo GE, Campiglia P, Di Pietro A, Navarra M (2015) Flavonoid fraction of orange and bergamot juices protect human lung epithelial cells from hydrogen peroxide-induced oxidative stress. Evid Based Complement Altern Med 2015:957031. https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/957031 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Ferlazzo N, Visalli G, Cirmi S, Lombardo GE, Lagana P, Di Pietro A, Navarra M (2016) Natural iron chelators: protective role in A549 cells of flavonoids-rich extracts of citrus juices in Fe(3+)-induced oxidative stress. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol 43:248–256. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.etap.2016.03.005 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Curro M, Risitano R, Ferlazzo N, Cirmi S, Gangemi C, Caccamo D, Ientile R, Navarra M (2016) Citrus bergamia juice extract attenuates beta-amyloid-induced pro-inflammatory activation of THP-1 cells through MAPK and AP-1 pathways. Sci Rep 6:20809. https://doi.org/10.1038/srep20809 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Impellizzeri D, Cordaro M, Campolo M, Gugliandolo E, Esposito E, Benedetto F, Cuzzocrea S, Navarra M (2016) Anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects of flavonoid-rich fraction of bergamot juice (BJe) in a mouse model of intestinal ischemia/reperfusion Injury. Front Pharmacol 7:203. https://doi.org/10.3389/fphar.2016.00203 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Impellizzeri D, Bruschetta G, Di Paola R, Ahmad A, Campolo M, Cuzzocrea S, Esposito E, Navarra M (2015) The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects of bergamot juice extract (BJe) in an experimental model of inflammatory bowel disease. Clin Nutr 34(6):1146–1154. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clnu.2014.11.012 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Caderni G, Femia AP, Giannini A, Favuzza A, Luceri C, Salvadori M, Dolara P (2003) Identification of mucin-depleted foci in the unsectioned colon of azoxymethane-treated rats: correlation with carcinogenesis. Cancer Res 63(10):2388–2392Google Scholar
- 24.Femia AP, Luceri C, Bianchini F, Salvadori M, Salvianti F, Pinzani P, Dolara P, Calorini L, Caderni G (2012) Marie Menard apples with high polyphenol content and a low-fat diet reduce 1,2-dimethylhydrazine-induced colon carcinogenesis in rats: effects on inflammation and apoptosis. Mol Nutr Food Res 56(8):1353–1357. https://doi.org/10.1002/mnfr.201200122 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Tortora K, Femia AP, Romagnoli A, Sineo I, Khatib M, Mulinacci N, Giovannelli L, Caderni G (2018) Pomegranate by-products in colorectal cancer chemoprevention: effects in Apc-mutated Pirc rats and mechanistic studies in vitro and ex vivo. Mol Nutr Food Res. https://doi.org/10.1002/mnfr.201700401 Google Scholar
- 28.Femia AP, Dolara P, Giannini A, Salvadori M, Biggeri A, Caderni G (2007) Frequent mutation of Apc gene in rat colon tumors and mucin-depleted foci, preneoplastic lesions in experimental colon carcinogenesis. Cancer Res 67(2):445–449. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-06-3861 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.Citraro R, Navarra M, Leo A, Donato Di Paola E, Santangelo E, Lippiello P, Aiello R, Russo E, De Sarro G (2016) The anticonvulsant activity of a flavonoid-rich extract from orange juice involves both NMDA and GABA-benzodiazepine receptor complexes. Molecules. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules21091261 Google Scholar
- 33.Celano M, Maggisano V, De Rose RF, Bulotta S, Maiuolo J, Navarra M, Russo D (2015) Flavonoid fraction of citrus reticulata juice reduces proliferation and migration of anaplastic thyroid carcinoma cells. Nutr Cancer 67(7):1183–1190. https://doi.org/10.1080/01635581.2015.1073760 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 35.Filocamo A, Bisignano C, Ferlazzo N, Cirmi S, Mandalari G, Navarra M (2015) In vitro effect of bergamot (Citrus bergamia) juice against cagA-positive and-negative clinical isolates of Helicobacter pylori. BMC Complement Altern Med 15:256. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12906-015-0769-2 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 36.Gugliandolo E, Fusco R, D’Amico R, Peditto M, Oteri G, Di Paola R, Cuzzocrea S, Navarra M (2018) Treatment with a flavonoid-rich fraction of bergamot juice improved lipopolysaccharide-induced periodontitis in rats. Front Pharmacol 9:1563. https://doi.org/10.3389/fphar.2018.01563 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 39.Femia AP, Dolara P, Luceri C, Salvadori M, Caderni G (2009) Mucin-depleted foci show strong activation of inflammatory markers in 1,2-dimethylhydrazine-induced carcinogenesis and are promoted by the inflammatory agent sodium dextran sulfate. Int J Cancer 125(3):541–547. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.24417 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 40.Warren CA, Paulhill KJ, Davidson LA, Lupton JR, Taddeo SS, Hong MY, Carroll RJ, Chapkin RS, Turner ND (2009) Quercetin may suppress rat aberrant crypt foci formation by suppressing inflammatory mediators that influence proliferation and apoptosis. J Nutr 139(1):101–105. https://doi.org/10.3945/jn.108.096271 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 44.Ravillah D, Mohammed A, Qian L, Brewer M, Zhang YT, Biddick L, Steele VE, Rao CV (2014) Chemopreventive effects of an HDAC2-selective inhibitor on rat colon carcinogenesis and APC(min/+) mouse intestinal tumorigenesis. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 348(1):59–68. https://doi.org/10.1124/jpet.113.208645 CrossRefGoogle Scholar