Left atrial anterior line ablation using ablation index and inter-lesion distance measurement
- 468 Downloads
Ablation index (AI) is a novel ablation quality marker that incorporates contact force (CF), time and power in a weighted formula to provide accurate information about lesion formation during catheter ablation. This index has been evaluated for pulmonary vein isolation (PVI) but has not been systematically used for other left atrial (LA) procedures so far. The aim of this study is to evaluate the feasibility and efficacy of this index for LA anterior line (AL) ablation (LAALA).
30 consecutive patients with persistent atrial fibrillation or LA macro-reentrant tachycardia and large low-voltage area at the left atrial anterior wall were evaluated and divided into 2 groups: group 1 (15 pts) LAALA guided by CF; group 2 (15 pts) LAALA guided by AI target (500) and inter-lesion distance ≤ 6 mm.
In group 2, shorter ablation time (12.5 ± 3.8 vs 17 ± 7 min, p = 0.049), overall RF application time (7.9 ± 1.4 vs 10.8 ± 3.2 min. p = 0.01) and less radiofrequency (RF) applications (14.5 ± 2.3 vs 20.5 ± 6.1 p = 0.01) were necessary to achieve AL bi-directional block. Acute reconnection of the AL was documented in three patients (20%) of group 1 and in no patient of group 2 (20% vs 0% p = 0.22). At site of reconnection, an inter-lesion distance > 6 mm was always found. There was no difference in terms of CF and power between group 2 and group 1. AI was statistically different between group 2 and group 1 (AI = 511 ± 77 vs 451 ± 111; p = 0.004).
AI-guided LAALA in this study was feasible and featured by shorter ablation time, shorter overall RF application time and a reduced number of RF applications to achieve AL bidirectional block.
KeywordsAblation Ablation index Anterior line Contact force PVI Pulmonary vein isolation RF Power
- 1.Ouyang F, Antz M, Ernst S, Hachiya H, Mavrakis H, Deger FT, Schaumann A, Chun J, Falk P, Hennig D, Liu X, Bänsch D, Kuck KH (2005) Recovered pulmonary vein conduction as a dominant factor for recurrent atrial tachyarrhythmias after complete circular isolation of the pulmonary veins: lessons from double Lasso technique. Circulation 111(2):127–135CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 2.Maurer T, Rottner L, Makimoto H, Reissmann B, Heeger CH, Lemes C, Fink T, Riedl J, Santoro F, Wohlmuth P, Volkmer M, Mathew S, Metzner A, Ouyang F, Kuck KH, Sohns C (2018) The best of two worlds? Pulmonary vein isolation using a novel radiofrequency ablation catheter incorporating contact force sensing technology and 56-hole porous tip irrigation. Clin Res Cardiol. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00392-018-1270-y CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 3.Schaeffer B, Willems S, Meyer C, Lüker J, Akbulak R, Moser J, Jularic M, Eickholt C, Schwarzl JM, Gunawardene M, Kuklik P, Sultan A, Hoffmann BA, Steven D (2018) Contact force facilitates the achievement of an unexcitable ablation line during pulmonary vein isolation. Clin Res Cardiol 107(8):632–641CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Reissmann B, Rillig A, Wissner E, Tilz R, Schlüter M, Sohns C, Heeger C, Mathew S, Maurer T, Lemes C, Fink T, Wohlmuth P, Santoro F, Riedl J, Ouyang F, Kuck KH, Metzner A (2017) Durability of wide-area left atrial appendage isolation: results from extensive catheter ablation for treatment of persistent atrial fibrillation. Heart Rhythm 14(3):314–319CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Rillig A, Lin T, Schmidt B, Feige B, Heeger C, Wegner J, Wissner E, Metzner A, Arya A, Mathew S, Wohlmuth P, Ouyang F, Kuck KH, Tilz RR (2016) Experience matters: long-term results of pulmonary vein isolation using a robotic navigation system for the treatment of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. Clin Res Cardiol 105(2):106–116CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Rillig A, Schmidt B, Di Biase L, Lin T, Scholz L, Heeger CH, Metzner A, Steven D, Wohlmuth P, Willems S, Trivedi C, Galllinghouse JG, Natale A, Ouyang F, Kuck KH, Tilz RR (2017) Manual versus robotic catheter ablation for the treatment of atrial fibrillation: the man and machine trial. JACC Clin Electrophysiol 3(8):875–883CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Reichlin T, Lane C, Nagashima K, Nof E, Chopra N, Ng J et al (2015) Feasibility, efficacy, and safety of radiofrequency ablation of atrial fibrillation guided by monitoring of the initial impedance decrease as a surrogate of catheter contact. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 26:390–396CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Calkins H, Kuck KH, Cappato R et al (2012) 2012 HRS/EHRA/ECAS expert consensus statement on catheter and surgical ablation of atrial fibrillation: recommendations for patient selection, procedural techniques, patient management and follow-up, definitions, endpoints, and research trial design. Europace 14:528–606CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Ouyang F, Ernst S, Vogtmann T, Goya M, Volkmer M, Schaumann A, Bänsch D, Antz M, Kuck KH (2002) Characterization of reentrant circuits in left atrial macroreentrant tachycardia: critical isthmus block can prevent atrial tachycardia recurrence. Circulation 105(16):1934–1942CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Stabile G, Solimene F, Calò L, Anselmino M, Castro A, Pratola C, Golia P, Bottoni N, Grandinetti G, De Simone A, De Ponti R, Dottori S, Bertaglia E (2014) Catheter-tissue contact force for pulmonary veins isolation: a pilot multicentre study on effect on procedure and fluoroscopy time. Europace 16(3):335–340CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.Di Biase L, Natale A, Barrett C, Tan C, Elayi CS, Ching CK, Wang P, Al-Ahmad A, Arruda M, Burkhardt JD, Wisnoskey BJ, Chowdhury P, De Marco S, Armaganijan L, Litwak KN, Schweikert RA, Cummings JE (2009) Relationship between catheter forces, lesion characteristics, “popping,” and char formation: experience with robotic navigation system. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 20(4):436–440CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Park CI, Lehrmann H, Keyl C, Weber R, Schiebeling J, Allgeier J, Schurr P, Shah A, Neumann FJ, Arentz T, Jadidi AS (2014) Mechanisms of pulmonary vein reconnection after radiofrequency ablation of atrial fibrillation: the deterministic role of contact force and interlesion distance. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 1:1–8Google Scholar
- 21.Guerra JM, Jorge E, Raga S, Galvez-Monton C, Alonso-Martin C, Rodriguez-Font E et al (2013) Effects of open-irrigated radiofrequency ablation catheter design on lesion formation and complications: in vitro comparison of 6 different devices. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 24:1157–1162PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 23.Das M, Loveday JJ, Wynn GJ, Gomes S, Saeed Y, Bonnett LJ, Waktare JEP, Todd DM, Hall MCS, Snowdon RL, Modi S, Gupta D (2017) Ablation index, a novel marker of ablation lesion quality: prediction of pulmonary vein reconnection at repeat electrophysiology study and regional differences in target values. Europace 19(5):775–783Google Scholar
- 26.Rillig A, Tilz RR, Lin T, Fink T, Heeger CH, Arya A, Metzner A, Mathew S, Wissner E, Makimoto H, Wohlmuth P, Kuck KH, Ouyang F (2016) Unexpectedly high incidence of stroke and left atrial appendage thrombus formation after electrical isolation of the left atrial appendage for the treatment of atrial tachyarrhythmias. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol 9(5):e003461CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 27.Verma A, Jiang CY, Betts TR, Chen J, Deisenhofer I, Mantovan R, Macle L, Morillo CA, Haverkamp W, Weerasooriya R, Albenque JP, Nardi S, Menardi E, Novak P, Sanders P (2015) STAR AF II Investigators. Approaches to catheter ablation for persistent atrial fibrillation. N Engl J Med 372(19):1812–1822CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 28.Bellmann B, Lin T, Ruppersberg P, Zettwitz M, Guttmann S, Tscholl V, Nagel P, Roser M, Landmesser U, Rillig A (2018) Identification of active atrial fibrillation sources and their discrimination from passive rotors using electrographical flow mapping. Clin Res Cardiol. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00392-018-1274-7 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 30.Phlips T, Taghji P, El Haddad M, Wolf M, Knecht S, Vandekerckhove Y, Tavernier R, Duytschaever M (2018) Improving procedural and one-year outcome after contact force-guided pulmonary vein isolation: the role of interlesion distance, ablation index, and contact force variability in the ‘CLOSE’-protocol. Europace. https://doi.org/10.1093/europace/eux376 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 31.El Haddad M, Taghji P, Phlips T, Wolf M, Demolder A, Choudhury R, Knecht S, Vandekerckhove Y, Tavernier R, Nakagawa H, Duytschaever M (2017) Determinants of acute and late pulmonary vein reconnection in contact force-guided pulmonary vein isolation: identifying the weakest link in the ablation chain. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol 10(4):e004867CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 32.Chun KRJ, Perrotta L, Bordignon S, Khalil J, Dugo D, Konstantinou A, Fürnkranz A, Schmidt B (2017) Complications in catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation in 3,000 consecutive procedures: balloon versus radiofrequency current ablation. JACC Clin Electrophysiol 3(2):154–161CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar