Safety and efficacy of cryoballoon ablation for the treatment of atrial fibrillation in elderly patients
- 148 Downloads
Catheter ablation (CA) is an established therapy for treatment of atrial fibrillation (AF). However, data about AF ablation using the cryoballoon (CB) in the elderly population are sparse. The aim of this single center retrospective study is to evaluate the safety and efficacy of CB ablation in patients ≥ 75 years compared to patients < 75 years.
Methods and results
Fifty-five consecutive patients aged ≥ 75 years (elderly group) were compared with 183 patients aged < 75 years (control group). All patients underwent pulmonary vein isolation (PVI) using the second-generation CB. The mean age in the elderly group was 78 ± 2.8 years and 60.8 ± 9.5 in the control group (p < 0.001). During 11.8 ± 5.4 months of follow-up, single procedure success rate for the elderly and the control group was 72.8 and 76%, respectively (p = 0.37). During redo ablation (n = 40), low-voltage areas in the LA were more frequently observed in elderly patients compared to the control group [1.0 (IQR 0–2.0) segments vs 2.0 (IQR 2.0–3.0) segments, respectively, p = 0.03]. The most common complication was transient phrenic nerve palsy, which only occurred in patients < 75 years (0 vs 7, p = 0.33). No severe complication such as procedure-related deaths, atrio-esophageal fistula, or cerebrovascular embolic events occurred.
Our data strengthen the value of CB ablation for the treatment of AF as an effective and safe procedure in elderly patients, with similar success and complication rates when compared with a younger population.
KeywordsAtrial fibrillation Cryoballoon Catheter ablation Elderly
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
K. Yalin received research and educational grant from Turkish Society of Cardiology. E. Lyan received travel grants and Speaker's Bureau Honoraria from BiosenseWebster, Medtronic, Boston Scientific. R. Tilz received travel grants from St. Jude Medical, Topera, BiosenseWebster, Daiichi Sankyo, Sentrheart and Speaker's Bureau Honoraria from BiosenseWebster, Biotronik, Pfizer, Topera, Bristol-Myers Squibb; Bayer, Sanofi Aventis. Christian Heeger received travel grants and research grants by Medtronic, Claret Medical and SentreHeart. All other authors have no disclosures.
- 1.Heeger C, Tilz RR, Saguner AM, Wick A, Metzner A, Rillig A, Reissmann B, Lemes C, Maurer T, Santoro F, Riedl J, Sohns C, Mathew S, Kuck KH, Ouyang F (2017) Ten-year clinical outcome after circumferential pulmonary vein isolation utilizing the Hamburg approach in patients with symptomatic drug-refractory paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. EP Europace 19(suppl_3):iii143CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Kirchhof P, Benussi S, Kotecha D, Ahlsson A, Atar D, Casadei B, Castella M, Diener H-C, Heidbüchel H, Hendriks J, Hindricks G, Manolis AS, Oldgren J, Popescu BA, Schotten U, Van Putte B, Vardas P, Agewall S, Camm J, Baron Esquivias G, Budts W, Carerj S, Casselman F, Coca A, De Caterina R, Deftereos S, Dobrev D, Ferro JM, Filippatos G, Fitzsimons D, Gorenek B, Guenoun M, Hohnloser SH, Kolh P, Lip GYH, Manolis A, McMurray J, Ponikowski P, Rosenhek R, Ruschitzka F, Savelieva I, Sharma S, Suwalski P, Tamargo JL, Taylor CJ, Van Gelder IC, Voors AA, Windecker S, Zamorano JL, Zeppenfeld K (2016) 2016 ESC Guidelines for the management of atrial fibrillation developed in collaboration with EACTS. Europace 18:1609–1678CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Rillig A, Schmidt B, Di Biase L, Lin T, Scholz L, Heeger C, Metzner A, Steven D, Wohlmuth P, Willems S, Trivedi C, Galllinghouse JG, Natale A, Ouyang F, Kuck KH, Tilz RR (2017) Manual versus robotic catheter ablation for the treatment of atrial fibrillation: the man and machine trial. JACC Clin EP 3:875–883Google Scholar
- 6.Go AS, Hylek EM, Phillips KA, Chang Y, Henault LF, Selby JV, Singer DE (2001) Prevalence of diagnosed atrial fibrillation in adults: national implications for rhythm management and stroke prevention: the AnTicoagulation and risk factors in atrial fibrillation. JAMA 285:2370–2375CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Metzner A, Reissmann B, Rausch P, Mathew S, Wohlmuth P, Tilz R, Rillig A, Lemes C, Deiss S, Heeger C, Kamioka M, Lin T, Ouyang F, Kuck KH, Wissner E (2014) One-year clinical outcome after pulmonary vein isolation using the second-generation 28-mm cryoballoon. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol 7:288–292CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Bulava A, Hanis J, Dusek L (2017) Clinical outcomes of radiofrequency catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation in octogenarians—10-year experience of a one high-volume center. J Geriatr Cardiol 14:575–581Google Scholar
- 16.Morillo CA, Verma A, Connolly SJ, Kuck KH, Nair GM, Champagne J, Sterns LD, Beresh H, Healey JS, Natale A, RAAFT-2 Investigators (2014) Radiofrequency ablation vs antiarrhythmic drugs as first-line treatment of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation (RAAFT-2): a randomized trial. JAMA 311:692–700CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Abugattas JP, Iacopino S, Moran D, De Regibus V, Takarada K, Mugnai G, Ströker E, Coutiño-Moreno HE, Choudhury R, Storti C, De Greef Y, Paparella G, Brugada P, de Asmundis C, Chierchia GB (2017) Efficacy and safety of the second generation cryoballoon ablation for the treatment of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation in patients over 75 years: a comparison with a younger cohort. Europace 19:1798–1803CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Metzner I, Wissner E, Tilz RR, Rillig A, Mathew S, Schmidt B, Chun J, Wohlmuth P, Deiss S, Lemes C, Maurer T, Fink T, Heeger C, Ouyang F, Kuck KH, Metzner A (2016) Ablation of atrial fibrillation in patients ≥ 75 years: long-term clinical outcome and safety. Europace 18:543–549CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Heeger CH, Tscholl V, Wissner E, Fink T, Rottner L, Wohlmuth P, Bellmann B, Roser M, Mathew S, Sohns C, Reißmann B, Lemeš C, Maurer T, Santoro F, Riedl J, Goldmann B, Landmesser U, Ouyang F, Kuck KH, Rillig A, Metzner A (2017) Acute efficacy, safety, and long-term clinical outcomes using the second-generation cryoballoon for pulmonary vein isolation in patients with a left common pulmonary vein: a multicenter study. Heart Rhythm 1:1111–1118CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Shigeta T, Okishige K, Yamauchi Y, Aoyagi H, Nakamura T, Yamashita M, Nishimura T, Ito N, Tsuchiya Y, Asano M, Shimura T, Suzuki H, Kurabayashi M, Keida T, Sasano T, Hirao K (2017) Clinical assessment of cryoballoon ablation in cases with atrial fibrillation and a left common pulmonary vein. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 28:1021–1027CrossRefGoogle Scholar