Upregulated OCT3 has the potential to improve the survival of colorectal cancer patients treated with (m)FOLFOX6 adjuvant chemotherapy
- 44 Downloads
To investigate the influence of organic cation transporter 3 (OCT3) expression on the effect of the combination regimen of 5-fluorouracil, folinic acid and oxaliplatin ((m)FOLFOX6) in colorectal cancer (CRC) patients.
This is a retrospective study conducted at a single centre (Sichuan Academy of Medical Sciences & Sichuan Provincial People’s Hospital, China). Patients with stage IIb-IV resectable CRC who were being postoperatively treated with (m)FOLFOX6 as a first-line adjuvant chemotherapy regimen for at least 5 cycles and had resected primary tumour samples available were eligible for the study. Patients who preoperatively received chemotherapy and/or radiotherapy or were treated with targeted drugs or other anticancer drugs were excluded from the study. Immunohistochemical staining and digital image analysis were used to assess OCT3 expression in tumour samples. According to OCT3 expression level, the receiver operating characteristic curve (ROC curve) was used to divide the patients into two groups. Cox proportional risk regression was performed with the forward LR (forward stepwise regression based on maximum likelihood estimation) method using SPSS17.0 software. The primary endpoint was the 2-year progression-free survival.
In total, 57 patients were included between 2014 and 2016 according to the inclusion and exclusion criteria (22 had low OCT3 expression, and 35 had high OCT3 expression). The mean age was 55.7 (30–74) years, and 37 of the total patients were male. According to TNM stage, 5 patients had stage IV disease, 44 patients had stage III disease, and 8 patients had stage II disease. Through Cox regression analysis, we found that among patients receiving the (m)FOLFOX6 regimen, those with higher OCT3 expression had a higher two-year progression-free survival rate than those with lower OCT3 expression (P = 0.038). The hazard ratio of patients with high OCT3 expression compared with patients with low OCT3 expression was 0.247. Besides, it was found that the age of patients was negatively correlated with expression level of OCT3, which can explain why patients over 70 years do not benefit from oxaliplatin-containing chemotherapy.
High OCT3 expression in CRC tissues may be a protective factor for CRC patients treated with (m)FOLFOX6.
KeywordsOCT3 SLC22A3 Colorectal cancer (m)FOLFOX6 Oxaliplatin
We thank to Liu Huan, Wu Xingwei for technical assistance in data collecting of patients.
Conception and design: JG, LW, XJ. Acquisition of data: JG, EL, DD, Analysis and interpretation of data: JG, TL. Drafting the manuscript: JG, ST, SF. Final approval of the version to be published: JG, XJ. All authors read and approved the final manuscript.
Compliance with ethical standards
Ethics approval and consent to participate
This study was approved by the ethics committees at Sichuan academy of medical Sciences & Sichuan Provincial People’s Hospital in China. Written informed consent was not obtained from the patients or their relatives due to the retrospective study design of using the electronic health records and no additional interventions were given to the subjects.
Competing of interests
The authors have no competing interests to declare.
- 3.Madi A, Fisher D, Wilson RH, Adams RA, Meade AM, Kenny SL, Nichols LL, Seymour MT, Wasan H, Kaplan R, Maughan TS (2012) Oxaliplatin/capecitabine vs oxaliplatin/infusional 5-FU in advanced colorectal cancer: the MRC COIN trial. Br J Cancer 107:1037–1043. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2012.384 published Online First: 2012/09/01CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 4.Bahrami A, Amerizadeh F, Hassanian SM, ShahidSales S, Khazaei M, Maftouh M, Ghayour-Mobarhan M, Ferns GA, Avan A (2018) Genetic variants as potential predictive biomarkers in advanced colorectal cancer patients treated with oxaliplatin-based chemotherapy. J Cell Physiol 233:2193–2201. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcp.25966 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Hall MD, Okabe M, Shen DW, Liang XJ, Gottesman MM (2008) The role of cellular accumulation in determining sensitivity to platinum-based chemotherapy. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 48:495–535. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.pharmtox.48.080907.180426 published Online First: 2007/10/17CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Yokoo S, Masuda S, Yonezawa A, Terada T, Katsura T, Inui KI (2008) Significance of organic cation transporter 3 (SLC22A3) expression for the cytotoxic effect of oxaliplatin in colorectal cancer. Drug Metab Dispos 36:2299–2306. https://doi.org/10.1124/dmd.108.023168 published Online First: 2008/08/20CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Yonezawa A, Masuda S, Yokoo S, Katsura T, Inui KI (2006) Cisplatin and oxaliplatin, but not carboplatin and nedaplatin, are substrates for human organic cation transporters (SLC22A1-3 and multidrug and toxin extrusion family). J Pharmacol Exp Ther 319:879–886. https://doi.org/10.1124/jpet.106.110346 published Online First: 2006/08/18CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Cui R, Okada Y, Jang SG, Ku JL, Park JG, Kamatani Y, Hosono N, Tsunoda T, Kumar V, Tanikawa C, Kamatani N, Yamada R, Kubo M, Nakamura Y, Matsuda K (2011) Common variant in 6q26-q27 is associated with distal colon cancer in an Asian population. Gut 60:799–805. https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.2010.215947 published Online First: 2011/01/19CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 15.Grisanzio C, Werner L, Takeda D, Awoyemi BC, Pomerantz MM, Yamada H, Sooriakumaran P, Robinson BD, Leung R, Schinzel AC, Mills I, Ross-Adams H, Neal DE, Kido M, Yamamoto T, Petrozziello G, Stack EC, Lis R, Kantoff PW, Loda M, Sartor O, Egawa S, Tewari AK, Hahn WC, Freedman ML (2012) Genetic and functional analyses implicate the NUDT11, HNF1B, and SLC22A3 genes in prostate cancer pathogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:11252–11257. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1200853109 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 16.Vollmar J, Lautem A, Closs E, Schuppan D, Kim YO, Grimm D, Marquardt JU, Fuchs P, Straub BK, Schad A, Gründemann D, Schattenberg JM, Gehrke N, Wörns MA, Baumgart J, Galle PR, Zimmermann T (2017) Loss of organic cation transporter 3 (Oct3) leads to enhanced proliferation and hepatocarcinogenesis. Oncotarget 8:115667–115680 https://doi.org/10.18632/oncotarget.23372
- 17.Xiong JX, Wang YS, Sheng J, Xiang D, Huang TX, Tan BB, Zeng CM, Li HH, Yang J, Meltzer SJ, Mori Y, Qin YR, Guan XY, Fu L (2018) Epigenetic alterations of a novel antioxidant gene SLC22A3 predispose susceptible individuals to increased risk of esophageal cancer. Int J Biol Sci 14:1658–1668. https://doi.org/10.7150/ijbs.28482 published Online First: 2018/11/13CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 18.Fu L, Qin YR, Ming XY, Zuo XB, Diao YW, Zhang LY, Ai J, Liu BL, Huang TX, Cao TT, Tan BB, Xiang D, Zeng CM, Gong J, Zhang Q, Dong SS, Chen J, Liu H, Wu JL, Qi RZ, Xie D, Wang LD, Guan XY (2017) RNA editing of SLC22A3 drives early tumor invasion and metastasis in familial esophageal cancer. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 114:E4631–E4E40. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1703178114 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 19.Le Roy B, Tixier L, Pereira B et al (2016) Assessment of the relation between the expression of Oxaliplatin transporters in colorectal Cancer and response to FOLFOX-4 adjuvant chemotherapy: a case control study. PLoS One 11:e0148739. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0148739 published Online First: 2016/02/10CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 20.Maloney JP, Stearman RS, Bull TM, Calabrese DW, Tripp-Addison ML, Wick MJ, Broeckel U, Robbins IM, Wheeler LA, Cogan JD, Loyd JE (2012) Loss-of-function thrombospondin-1 mutations in familial pulmonary hypertension. Am J Phys Lung Cell Mol Phys 302(6):L541–L554Google Scholar
- 22.Tournigand C, Andre T, Bonnetain F et al (2012) Adjuvant therapy with fluorouracil and oxaliplatin in stage II and elderly patients (between ages 70 and 75 years) with colon cancer: subgroup analyses of the multicenter international study of Oxaliplatin, fluorouracil, and Leucovorin in the adjuvant treatment of Colon Cancer trial. J Clin Oncol 30:3353–3360. https://doi.org/10.1200/jco.2012.42.5645 published Online First: 2012/08/24CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 23.Jiao D, Zhang R, Gong Z, Liu F, Chen Y, Yu Q, Sun L, Duan H, Zhu S, Liu F, Wang J, Jia J (2015) Fluorouracil-based preoperative chemoradiotherapy with or without oxaliplatin for stage II/III rectal cancer: a 3-year follow-up study. Chin J Cancer Res 27:588–596. https://doi.org/10.3978/j.issn.1000-9604.2015.12.05 published Online First: 2016/01/12CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 25.Ohkawa K, Asakura T, Tsukada Y, Matsuura T (2017) Antibody to human alpha-fetoprotein inhibits cell growth of human hepatocellular carcinoma cells by resuscitating the PTEN molecule: in vitro experiments. Int J Oncol 50:2180–2190. https://doi.org/10.3892/ijo.2017.3982 published Online First: 2017/05/13CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar