A volumetric temperature and velocity measurement technique for microfluidics based on luminescence lifetime imaging
A novel optical measurement technique is introduced and qualified which enables the simultaneous determination of the three-dimensional temperature field and the three components of the three-dimensional velocity field in microfluidic applications with only one camera. The temperature is obtained by evaluating the emission decay of individual luminescent polymer particles, whereas the velocity field can be calculated simultaneously from the flow-induced shift of individual particle images in time. To acquire the depth information, the well-established astigmatism particle-tracking velocimetry technique is employed. With this method, systematic errors caused by volume illumination and the reduced spatial resolution due to window averaging as in micro particle image velocimetry (µ-PIV) or laser-induced fluorescence (LIF) can be avoided. The technique can easily be optimized for the investigated temperature range and flow velocities and offers an exceptionally high spatial resolution and accuracy.
Financial support from the ‘Arbeitsgemeinschaft industrieller Forschungsvereinigungen’ (AiF) under the grant ‘Schnellstart: Entwicklung eines Verfahrens zum gezielten Vorheizen einer Direkt-Methanol-Brennstoffzelle mit minimalem Energieaufwand’ (18941 N) and from the German Research Foundation (DFG), under the framework of the Emmy-Noether grant ‘Kontrollierte elektrochemische Energieumwandlung durch oberflächennahe Strömungsbeeinflussung’ (CI 185/3) is gratefully appreciated.
- Irwansyah R, Massing J, Cierpka C, Kähler CJ (2015) Investigation of the heat transfer in a square microchannel with Al2O3-H2O nanofluids. Tech Messen 82:572–577Google Scholar
- Kim M, Yoda M (2014) The spatial resolution of dual-tracer fluorescence thermometry in volumetrically illuminated channels. Exp Fluids 55:1–12Google Scholar
- Kimura I, Takamori T, Yamauchi H, Ozawa M, Takenaka N, Sakaguchi T (1988) Simultaneous measurement of flow and temperature fields based on color image information. Nagare No Kashika 8:185–188Google Scholar
- Schiepel D, Schmeling D, Wagner C (2016) Simultaneous velocity and temperature measurements in turbulent Rayleigh-Bénard convection based on combined Tomo-PIV and PIT. In: Proceedings of the 18th international symposium on application of laser and imaging techniques to fluid mechanics. Lisbon, Portugal, 4–7 July, pp 3216–3231Google Scholar
- Steinke ME, Kandlikar SG (2005) Single-phase liquid heat transfer in microchannels. In: ASME 3rd international conference on microchannels and minichannels, american society of mechanical engineers. Toronto, Canada, 13–15 June, pp 667–678Google Scholar