Long-term oncologic outcomes of robot-assisted radical cystectomy (RARC) with totally intracorporeal urinary diversion (ICUD): a multi-center study
To report survival outcomes after robot-assisted radical cystectomy (RARC) with intracorporeal urinary diversion (ICUD) for recurrent/muscle-invasive non-metastatic bladder cancer.
Prospectively maintained databases were queried for “robotic cystectomy AND ICUD”. Patients treated after October 2013 and those treated without curative intent were excluded. Kaplan–Meier method was used to plot stage-specific survival outcomes, computed at 1, 2, and 5 years after surgery. Univariable and multivariable Cox analyses assessed predictors of recurrence-free (RFS), cancer-specific (CSS) and overall (OS) survival.
113 consecutive patients were included, mostly men (82%). Neoadjuvant chemotherapy was performed in 23% of cases, median lymph node (LN) yield was 36 (IQR 28–45) and the rate of positive surgical margins (PSM) was 8%. Orthotopic ileal neobladder was the preferred ICUD type (57%). An organ-confined disease was observed in 51% of cases and 21% were pT0 on final histology. Overall, 5-year RFS, CSS and OS probabilities were 58 ± 5%, 61 ± 5% and 54 ± 5%, respectively. At Kaplan–Meier method, tumor stage group was a significant predictor of survival probabilities (all p < 0.001) and this was confirmed at multivariable Cox regression analysis (RFS-OR 2.29; 95% CI 1.58–3.32; p < 0.001) (CSS-OR 1.82; 95% CI 1.3–2.53; p < 0.001) (OS-OR 2.14; 95% CI 1.46–3.14; p < 0.001). PSM status was associated to CSS (OR 2.54; 95% CI 1.13–5.69; p = 0.024) and OS (OR 2.82; 95% CI 1.17–6.77; p = 0.021), but did not predict RFS (p = 0.062).
Long-term oncologic outcomes after RARC with ICUD appear similar to recent robotic series with extracorporeal diversion and historical open experiences.
KeywordsBladder cancer Long-term outcomes Radical cystectomy Robotic Survival Urothelial carcinoma
UA: data collection, project development, and critical revision. MA: project development and critical revision. AB: project development, data analysis, manuscript writing, and submission. GC: project development and critical revision. MD: project development and critical revision. MCF: project development and critical revision. MG: project development and critical revision. IG: project development and critical revision. RM: data collection and project development. GM: project development and critical revision. GT: data collection, project development, and critical revision. GS: protocol development, project development, critical revision, supervision, and administrative.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Review board approval was obtained for this retrospective study.
- 1.Brassetti A, Möller A, Laurin O et al (2018) Evolution of cystectomy care over an 11-year period in a high-volume tertiary referral centre. BJU Int. https://doi.org/10.1111/bju.14112
- 4.Ahmed K, Khan SA, Hayn MH et al (2014) Analysis of intracorporeal compared with extracorporeal urinary diversion after robot-assisted radical cystectomy: results from the international robotic cystectomy consortium. Eur Urol 65:340–347. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2013.09.042 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Xylinas E, Green DA, Otto B et al (2013) Robotic-assisted radical cystectomy with extracorporeal urinary diversion for urothelial carcinoma of the bladder: analysis of complications and oncologic outcomes in 175 patients with a median follow-up of 3 years. Urology 82:1323–1329. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2013.07.048 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Wang G, McKenney JK (2018) Urinary bladder pathology: World Health Organization (WHO) classification and American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC) Staging Update. Arch Pathol Lab Med 143:571–577. https://doi.org/10.5858/arpa.2017-0539-RA
- 21.Lenfant L, Verhoest G, Campi R et al (2018) Perioperative outcomes and complications of intracorporeal vs extracorporeal urinary diversion after robot-assisted radical cystectomy for bladder cancer: a real-life, multi-institutional french study. World J Urol 36:1711–1718. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00345-018-2313-8 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Tan WS, Sridhar A, Ellis G et al (2016) Analysis of open and intracorporeal robotic assisted radical cystectomy shows no significant difference in recurrence patterns and oncological outcomes. Urol Oncol Semin Orig Investig 34:257.e1–257.e9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urolonc.2016.02.010 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Simone G, Tuderti G, Misuraca L et al (2018) Perioperative and mid-term oncologic outcomes of robotic assisted radical cystectomy with totally intracorporeal neobladder: results of a propensity score matched comparison with open cohort from a single-centre series. Eur J Surg Oncol 44:1432–1438. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2018.04.006 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.Advanced Bladder Cancer (ABC) Meta-analysis Collaboration CL (2005) Neoadjuvant chemotherapy in invasive bladder cancer: update of a systematic review and meta-analysis of individual patient data advanced bladder cancer (ABC) meta-analysis collaboration. Eur Urol 48:202–5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2005.04.006 (discussion 205-6)
- 33.Porreca A, Mineo Bianchi F, Romagnoli D et al (2019) Robot-assisted radical cystectomy with totally intracorporeal urinary diversion: surgical and early functional outcomes through the learning curve in a single high-volume center. J Robot Surg. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11701-019-00977-4