ICUD-SIU International Consultation on Bladder Cancer 2017: management of non-muscle invasive bladder cancer
To provide a summary of the Third International Consultation on Bladder Cancer recommendations for the management of non-muscle invasive bladder cancer (NMIBC).
A detailed review of the literature was performed focusing on original articles for the management of NMIBC. An international committee assessed and graded the articles based on the Oxford Centre for Evidence-based Medicine system. The entire spectrum of NMIBC was covered such as prognostic factors of recurrence and progression, risk stratification, staging, management of positive urine cytology with negative white light cystoscopy, indications of bladder and prostatic urethral biopsies, management of Ta low grade (LG) and high risk tumors (Ta high grade [HG], T1, carcinoma in situ [CIS]), impact of BCG strain and host on outcomes, management of complications of intravesical therapy, role of alternative therapies, indications for early cystectomy, surveillance strategies, and new treatments. The working group provides several recommendations on the management of NMIBC.
Recommendations were summarized with regard to staging; management of primary and recurrent LG Ta and high risk disease, positive urine cytology with negative white light cystoscopy and prostatic urethral involvement; indications for timely cystectomy; and surveillance strategies.
NMIBC remains a common and challenging malignancy to manage. Accurate staging, grading, and risk stratification are critical determinants of the management and outcomes of these patients. Current tools for risk stratification are limited but informative, and should be used in clinical practice when determining diagnosis, surveillance, and treatment of NMIBC.
KeywordsBladder cancer Non-muscle invasive bladder cancer Transurethral resection of bladder tumor Staging Diagnosis Treatment Surveillance Bacillus Calmette–Guerin Guidelines ICUD
LLM: manuscript writing/editing, project development. JAW: manuscript writing/editing. PKA: manuscript writing. CBA: manuscript writing. TJB: manuscript writing. BHB: manuscript writing. JLB: manuscript writing. SSC: manuscript writing. JLD: manuscript writing. JMM: manuscript writing. CD: manuscript writing. GG: manuscript writing. GSK: manuscript writing. PM: manuscript writing. MAO: manuscript writing. CAR: manuscript writing. JBS: manuscript writing. ES: manuscript writing. RSS: manuscript writing. AGH: manuscript writing. FJPV: manuscript writing. WK: manuscript writing/editing, project development
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Author JA Witjes has relationship with Sanofi Pasteur, MEL Amsterdam (Synergo), Cepheid, Nucleix, BMS, Taris, BioCancel and Spectrum. Author SS Chang has relationship with Mdx Health, BioCancel, Bristol Myers Squibb, and Altor. Author GS Kulkarni has received research funds from Biosyent Canada. Author MA O’Donnell has relationship with Abbot Molecular, Roche, Photocure, Urogen, Medical Enterprises, Viventia, Spectrum, Fidia Pharmaceuticals, Vaxiion Pharmaceuticals, and Therlasae. The other authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Research involving human participants and/or animals
For this type of study formal consent is not required. This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
For this type of study formal consent is not required.
- 5.Philips B, Ball C, Sackett D, et al (2009) Oxford Centre for Evidence-based medicine—levels of evidence (March 2009). http://www.cebm.net/oxford-centre-evidence-based-medicine-levels-evidence-march-2009/. Accessed 15 June, 2017
- 6.Sobin LH, Gospodarowicz MK, Wittekind C (2010) TNM classification of malignant tumours, 7th edn. Wiley-Blackwell, ChichesterGoogle Scholar
- 7.Brierley JD, Gospodarowicz MK, Wittekind C (2017) TNM classification of malignant tumours, 8th edn. Wiley-Blackwell, ChichesterGoogle Scholar
- 8.Sylvester RJ, van der Meijden AP, Oosterlinck W, Witjes JA, Bouffioux C, Denis L, Newling DW, Kurth K (2006) Predicting recurrence and progression in individual patients with stage Ta T1 bladder cancer using EORTC risk tables: a combined analysis of 2596 patients from seven EORTC trials. Eur Urol 49(3):466–477. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2005.12.031 Google Scholar
- 9.Fernandez-Gomez J, Madero R, Solsona E, Unda M, Martinez-Pineiro L et al (2009) Predicting nonmuscle invasive bladder cancer recurrence and progression in patients treated with bacillus Calmette-Guerin: the CUETO scoring model. J Urol 182(5):2195–2203. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2009.07.016 Google Scholar
- 10.Soloway MS, Patel J (1992) Surgical techniques for endoscopic resection of bladder cancer. Urol Clin North Am 19(3):467–471Google Scholar
- 12.Bladder cancer. A Joint SIU-ICUD International Consultation. Lisbon, Portugal. Available at: http://www.siu-urology.org/society/siu-icud. Accessed 19 Oct, 2017 In press
- 13.Koplay M, Kantarci M, Guven F, Aksoy Y, Taser F, Ziypak T, Eren S, Levent A, Atamanalp SS (2010) Diagnostic efficiency of multidetector computed tomography with multiplanar reformatted imaging and virtual cystoscopy in the assessment of bladder tumors after transurethral resection. J Comput Assist Tomogr 34(1):121–126. https://doi.org/10.1097/RCT.0b013e3181b728ae Google Scholar
- 18.Babjuk M, Bohle A, Burger M, Capoun O, Cohen D, Comperat EM, Hernandez V, Kaasinen E, Palou J, Roupret M, van Rhijn BW, Shariat SF, Soukup V, Sylvester RJ, Zigeuner R (2017) EAU guidelines on non-muscle invasive bladder cancer: update 2016. Eur Urol 71(3):447–461. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2016.05.041 Google Scholar
- 19.Chang S, Boorjian S, Chou R, Clark PE, Daneshmand S, Konety BR, Pruthi R, Quale DZ, Ritch CR, Seigne JD, Skinner EC, Smith ND, McKiernan JM (2016) Diagnosis and treatment of non-muscle invasive bladder cancer: AUA/SOU guidelines. J Urol 196(4):1021–1029. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2016.06.049 Google Scholar
- 21.Palou J, Rodriguez-Rubio F, Huguet J, Segarra J, Ribal MJ, Alcaraz A, Villavicencio H (2005) Multivariate analysis of clinical parameters of synchronous primary superficial bladder cancer and upper urinary tract tumor. J Urol 174(3):859–861. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ju.0000169424.79702.6d Google Scholar
- 24.Sylvester RJ, Oosterlinck W, Witjes JA (2008) The schedule and duration of intravesical chemotherapy in patients with non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer: a systematic review of the published results of randomized clinical trials. Eur Urol 53(4):709–719. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2008.01.015 Google Scholar
- 29.Cai T, Nesi G, Tinacci G, Zini E, Mondaini N, Boddi V, Mazzoli S, Bartoletti R (2008) Can early single dose instillation of epirubicin improve bacillus Calmette-Guerin efficacy in patients with nonmuscle invasive high risk bladder cancer? Results from a prospective, randomized, double-blind controlled study. J Urol 180(1):110–115. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2008.03.038 Google Scholar
- 31.Lamm DL, Blumenstein BA, Crissman JD, Montie JE, Gottesman JE, Lowe BA, Sarosdy MF, Bohl RD, Grossman HB, Beck TM, Leimert JT, Crawford ED (2000) Maintenance bacillus Calmette-Guerin immunotherapy for recurrent TA, T1 and carcinoma in situ transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder: a randomized Southwest oncology group study. J Urol 163(4):1124–1129. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5347(05)67707-5 Google Scholar
- 32.Martinez-Pineiro JA, Flores N, Isorna S, Solsona E, Sebastian JL, Pertusa C, Rioja LA, Martinez-Pineiro L, Vela R, Camacho JE, Nogueira JL, Pereira I, Resel L, Muntanola P, Galvis F, Chesa N, De Torres JA, Carballido J, Bernuy C, Arribas S, Madero R, For CUETO (Club Urologico Espanol de Tratamiento Oncologico) (2002) Long-term follow-up of a randomized prospective trial comparing a standard 81 mg dose of intravesical bacille Calmette-Guerin with a reduced dose of 27 mg in superficial bladder cancer. BJU int 89(7):671–680. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1464-410X.2002.02722.x Google Scholar
- 34.Rink M, Furberg H, Zabor EC, Xylinas E, Babjuk M, Pycha A, Lotan Y, Karakiewicz PI, Novara G, Robinson BD, Montorsi F, Chun FK, Scherr DS, Shariat SF (2013) Impact of smoking and smoking cessation on oncologic outcomes in primary non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer. Eur Urol 63(4):724–732. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2012.08.025 Google Scholar
- 38.Steinberg G, Bahnson R, Brosman S, Middleton R, Wajsman Z, Wehle M (2000) Efficacy and safety of valrubicin for the treatment of Bacillus Calmette-Guerin refractory carcinoma in situ of the bladder. The Valrubicin Study Group. J Urol 163(3):761–767. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5347(05)67799-3 Google Scholar
- 42.Lammers RJ, Witjes JA, Inman BA, Leibovitch I, Laufer M, Nativ O, Colombo R (2011) The role of a combined regimen with intravesical chemotherapy and hyperthermia in the management of non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer: a systematic review. Eur Urol 60(1):81–93. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2011.04.023 Google Scholar
- 43.Di Stasi SM, Giannantoni A, Stephen RL, Capelli G, Navarra P, Massoud R, Vespasiani G (2003) Intravesical electromotive mitomycin C versus passive transport mitomycin C for high risk superficial bladder cancer: a prospective randomized study. J Urol 170(3):777–782. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ju.0000080568.91703.18 Google Scholar
- 44.Weiss C, Wolze C, Engehausen DG, Ott OJ, Krause FS, Schrott KM, Dunst J, Sauer R, Rodel C (2006) Radiochemotherapy after transurethral resection for high-risk T1 bladder cancer: an alternative to intravesical therapy or early cystectomy? J Clin Oncol 24(15):2318–2324. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.05.8149 Google Scholar
- 50.Knoedler JJ, Boorjian SA, Tollefson MK, Cheville JC, Thapa P, Tarrell RF, Frank I (2014) Urothelial carcinoma involving the prostate: the association of revised tumour stage and coexistent bladder cancer with survival after radical cystectomy. BJU int 114(6):832–836. https://doi.org/10.1111/bju.12486 Google Scholar
- 54.Lokeshwar VB, Habuchi T, Grossman HB, Murphy WM, Hautmann SH, Hemstreet GP 3rd, Bono AV, Getzenberg RH, Goebell P, Schmitz-Drager BJ, Schalken JA, Frade Y, Marberger M, Messing E, Droller MJ (2005) Bladder tumor markers beyond cytology: International Consensus Panel on bladder tumor markers. Urology 66(6 Suppl 1):35–63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2005.08.064 Google Scholar
- 55.Kassouf W, Witjes JA et al. (2018) ICUD-SIU International Consultation on Bladder Cancer 2017: management of non-muscle invasive bladder cancer. ICUD-SIU bladder guideline book (NMIBC section). In: Black, P and Gontero, P (eds). https://www.siu-urology.org/society/siu-icud. Accessed 10 May 2018